Any thoughts on this... Asus MX279H

Sparky83

I'm looking at buying a new monitor after having a 27" iMac for the last 3yrs,

I will be using it for playing games, and other normal stuff, word processing, searching the net etc.

I have been told by the wife that it needs to look good and not some horrid boring black box on the desk.

So this one caught my eye whilst having a look around, as i think it looks great,

Does anyone have it? I'm looking for honest opinions, good or bad

Thanks,

Shawn

daveh48

Hi,

Had one of these for a couple of days but it had some serious light bleeding in the left hand bottom corner. Bought mine from "Overclockers" who are very good with returns and it was refunded within the week. Although it's a very nice looking monitor I felt the picture quality wasn't great either and have seen better - Samsung or HP. Like you I was attracted to it's looks.

Not had a great deal of luck replacing it as I decided to go for a Dell UltraSharp 2713HM but once again there was light bleeding which I thought I could live with but once you know it's there..... This has been returned to "Amazon", again not problems getting a refund.

I've now got the Apple Thunderbolt Display, lot more money than I initially planned to spend but it's perfect. I'm using it with my 15" MacBook Pro Retina and I've connected my HDD's etc to it so I don't have to unplug everything when I want to use the MacBook in the living room.

Have a look on the "Overclockers Forum" for some user reviews.

Sparky83

I have a 27" iMac that I'd be selling so know what ups mean about the mac displays, this is the one thing about the mac that I'll miss, hence trying to find something that both looks good and is a great monitor too, without breaking the bank!

Thanks for the info, I'll find a few reviews.

daveh48

Check out the 27" DGM monitor on the Overclockers website, they are I believe soul agents in the UK. They have their issues but if you get a good one then it's a good buy and it has a 2560 x 1440 resolution same as Apple.

Give "Overclockers" a ring for some info, they were very helpful when I spoke to them.

Sparky83

daveh48 said:
Check out the 27" DGM monitor on the Overclockers website, they are I believe soul agents in the UK. They have their issues but if you get a good one then it's a good buy and it has a 2560 x 1440 resolution same as Apple.

Give "Overclockers" a ring for some info, they were very helpful when I spoke to them.

Thanks for the info, I'll take a look

cebs_uk

I like those Asus ones, OC had 2 B grade models last week for 200 rather than 300 but they were gone by the time I had any funds to buy one.

Maybe something like this :

Acer UM.HT2EE.001 27" LED Touch Monitor Full HD HDMI/DVI/VGA - Scan.co.uk

or this looks great imo and had a great review in custom pc :

Dell UltraSharp U2913WM 29" Super-Widescreen LED Monitor - Midnight Grey [U2913WM]

It's tricky without seeing one in the flesh imo but OC have a good range of 27"+ models and guess they can always be returned under DSR.

Sparky83

Thanks for the info,

I was reading the other day about ones that have the same resolution as the iMac or apple display.

Any thoughts on wether this is worth it or not?

cebs_uk

No worries, neither of the above are that high rez but on here are several :

27 inch LCD/LED Monitors / TV's - Overclockers UK

with this one with an even higher refresh rate but I don't know if that makes much different but some people who have 120 hz say they would never go back so this might be better than those.

Asus VG278HE 27" TRUE 144Hz 3D Widescreen LED Monitor - Black [90LME6001T510N1C]

The asus 279H is the best looking one to me and 2 would be sweat just gutted I missed the clearance ones last week.

The latest video from AVForums

Are the TCL MiniLED TVs better than OLED? TCL Interview with Marek Maciejewski | AVForums Podcast
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom