1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any thoughts on the Sony 930 ?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Bristol Pete, Dec 9, 2003.

1. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    I realise that this has been discussed before but I have a reason for asking it, despite using the search option here.

Basically, I am looking for a reasonable PAL and NTSC DVD player to feed DVD + the odd RW disks only - into my Panasonic AE300 projector via component.

I was looking at the Denon 2900, Pioneer 868 and the Arcam 88+ but I have started thinking that it would be silly to spend the best part of a grand on a DVD player when its running a picture via what is in effect, a great but budget PJ.

Therefore, I am thinking about the 930 as it will enable me to save £600.00 towards my new PJ which in turn may warrant a future puchase of an HDMI DVD deck if this is making sense.

So, any thoughts on the Sony 930? (and I may get the odd SACD)

I mean, wilI really see a difference between the Sony and something like the Denon 2900 via my PJ?

thanks,

Cap:)

2. snocrash

snocrash
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I put the Sony 730 and 930 head to head on a hi-res reference monitor and I can't pick the difference when played progressive from a PAL DVD.

As for all the other features of the 930 - can't comment as I was only interested in the output from PAL DVD in progressive (625p)

My understanding is the 930 has the same guts as the 730 (I'll stand corrected on that if need be)

3. John Dawson

John Dawson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Just a thought here Cap (as we would naturally like to sell you an Arcam product) - the new DV78 will fulfill your picture needs, probably better than less expensive players, as it is similar in PQ to a DV88 Plus - at a saving of £300 or so over a DV88 Plus.

Most UK dealers now have DV78s. There's a link at http://www.arcam.co.uk/diva/cinema/dv78.html

HTH.

John Dawson (Arcam)

4. Bernard Barnett

Bernard Barnett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I have both the Sony 930 and the Arcam 88+. The Arcam is definitely better for picture quality - as it should be for the extra cost. And I watch only a 32-inch screen. For viewing through a projector on to a big screen I'd have thought PQ was paramount. If the 78 will give comparable quality at less cost, it must be worth a look or preferably a home test.

5. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    to John @ Arcam and Bernard. I will have a look at the 78 seems to be a little more within the constraints of my budget.

Thanks,

Cap:smashin: