1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any suppliers do part-ex with a bulbless AE100?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by krakken, Nov 11, 2004.

1. krakken

krakken

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    :confused: Guys, Please help - I am stuck for what to do? - I have a 2 1/2 year old AE100 at Panasonic and they want to charge me £373 to replace the fan and bulb. As the pj is only worth £400 on the second hand market ( I'm told? ) I'm a bit snookered. I was looking to upgrade anyway before it failed - AE700 or the Z3 - probably the Z3 now! - so do I get it fixed and sell, cut my losses and not get it fixed and sell for peanuts on 'spares or repair' or are there any suppliers who might cut a part-ex deal?

Help appreciated, especially as I've been watching a 24" 4:3 TV for three weeks already..

K

2. cyberheater

cyberheater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +174
    Have you tried looking on Ebay etc... for a cheaper price for a bulb. I've seen them online for 250 quid delivered. Why do you need a new fan?

Having said that. Once a new bulb is fitted. You'd make around 150-200 quid profit (after paying for the bulb) which you can put towards a new PJ or just sell the thing on ebay without a bulb and take what you can get for it.

It seems the trick is to upgrade before your halfway thru your bulb life (probably sooner).

BTW. How many hours of? PJ use did you get out of it

3. krakken

krakken

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    Thanks Cyberheater,

I've seen a bulb for around £250 at bltdirect.co.uk - anybody seen cheaper? - so may go this route?

I've actually had 3500 hours out of this last bulb - was changed June 2003, so I can't complain too much?

I've had over 5000 hours in total so I guess I should stop moaning and get on with my upgrade? I was nearly set on the AE700 but I'm a tad put off Panny's now - The Z3 is probably on top of my list so far...

The problem with upgrading half way through the life of the pj ( even if you knew when that that be! ) is justifying the expense on the loss of the last purchase ... my missus is still giving me a load of hassle on why we spent such a lot 2 1/2 years ago just to have a wothless box of metal and plastic at the end of it... ( she's not happy ) - it's a tricky business this AV'ing!

Cheers,

K

4. cyberheater

cyberheater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +174
    Projectors are the quickest depreciating AV item of all time. The technologys moving on so fast that this years super wonder 5000 quid projecter is this years 1000 second hand bargain.

PJ's need to drop to around 300-500 mark and the bulb life needs to increase by a factor of 4 before they really start to stabilise.

Having said that. How much do you think you'd get for a second hand TV nowdays?