Any supermarket delivery drivers on here?

myss

There's been a fair bit of news on the lack of HGV drivers and how that might effect on supermarket stock amongst others products/services. I have a relative who works for Tesco and says that they're now moaning about a lack of delivery drivers now. My relative says this is nothing to do with Covid or Brexit, similar-ish to the HGV drivers claims, this is down to how Tesco poorly treats their delivery drivers.

I know my relative has been reprimanded for taking too long with deliveries despite them being in Central London and other busy areas. They also have to take deliveries to flats in building no matter high regardless of whether there's a lift or not.
On one occasion he had a new starter accompanying him, my relative had a delivery of multiple bottles of water when the temperature was hot to a customer on 6th floor without a lift. And the customer moaned about them not being able to bring in the shopping to her kitchen! The day after the new starter resigned.

It can be that bad for all supermarket delivery drivers?? I know for instance Sainsburys don't allow their drivers to delivery to locations above 2nd floor. Anyone has any similar/worse/better experiences?

alphaomega16

Distinguished Member
Oh god have they mentioned supermarket stock as well, them fearmongering and literally causing a fuel shortage in record time is bad enough.

BBC need shutting down for going way off the tracks with their reporting and actually causing a nationwide panic.

Kapkirk

You could be right about the working conditions and high turnover of delivery drivers, we have been getting deliveries for the last 3 years from tesco and have never seen the same driver twice. Would love to know why there is such a high turnover.

RBZ5416

Distinguished Member
never seen the same driver twice.
Could just be the way shifts are scheduled. When I looked at doing it a few years ago, all the big supermarkets operated in the same way. No full-time roles, only 24 hours part-time. Three days work suited me but no, it was comprised of eight x four hour shifts spread over then entire week. They also demanded "flexibility", which in real terms meant that if they called you outside of your scheduled shifts to cover for someone else, you were expected to drop everything & rush in. All for a little over minimum wage.

It's odd how when I was earning very good money, I was left to get on with the job. But in the couple of minimum wage roles I have undertaken since, the employer wants their pound of flesh. Usually by continually increasing the workload & bitching when it can't all be completed on time.

aVdub

Distinguished Member
Agencies are asking £450 a day for drivers right now and a good friend of mine that does France & UK driving is earning £50,000 atm and can walk out of his job at 9am and be in another at 9:30am.

One side of family owns a haulage firm and is struggling to get drivers big time.

So if these drivers are not happy, then walk into the next job with ease.

myss

Could just be the way shifts are scheduled. When I looked at doing it a few years ago, all the big supermarkets operated in the same way. No full-time roles, only 24 hours part-time. Three days work suited me but no, it was comprised of eight x four hour shifts spread over then entire week. They also demanded "flexibility", which in real terms meant that if they called you outside of your scheduled shifts to cover for someone else, you were expected to drop everything & rush in. All for a little over minimum wage.

It's odd how when I was earning very good money, I was left to get on with the job. But in the couple of minimum wage roles I have undertaken since, the employer wants their pound of flesh. Usually by continually increasing the workload & bitching when it can't all be completed on time.
My relative works 5x 9hr shifts for Tesco, so there was full time work there, I suspect with the shortage of drivers there still is.

Just to clarify for the thread, I'm referring to the food delivery drivers here - when customers orders a food shop - not the HGV ones who bring in stock to the supermarket. My apologies if that wasn't clear from my initial post.

The Markster

You could be right about the working conditions and high turnover of delivery drivers, we have been getting deliveries for the last 3 years from tesco and have never seen the same driver twice. Would love to know why there is such a high turnover.
If they're anything like Asda then the working conditions will be terrible. The upper management don't care about the guys on the ground. I never did home deliveries but occasionally helped out with picking them and the unhappiness amongst the drivers was worse than instore. Before I quit I didn't recognise most of the drivers. All the store manager is interested in now is whether the spreadsheet looks good at the end of the week. Cant speak of all other supermarkets but Asda were always pleading poverty with the staff saying they cant afford to replace staff yet they make vast profits. Ever since Walmart announced they were selling, the poor workforce were squeezed more than I've ever experience. Literally trying to get blood out of a stone.

Derek S-H

Distinguished Member
I see those vans still driving around at night - we're talking 10, 11 pm.

Most of the guys look so tired, too.

Do they have to sign a confidentiality agreement or something, because I don't think I've ever seen a blog written by one?

myss

Do they have to sign a confidentiality agreement or something, because I don't think I've ever seen a blog written by one?
I know my relative has worked till 11pm at night regularly.

The Markster

at the time i worked nights i would see them coming back to clock out at 11ish. I think at the time the last delivery they did was 10pm, but this could have been over the road or miles away it was pot luck.

Tight Git

Distinguished Member
I've had a Tesco delivery every Monday morning for the last 10 years and, with one exception, all the drivers are/were superb, even during the lockdowns. :smashin:

myss

If they're anything like Asda then the working conditions will be terrible. The upper management don't care about the guys on the ground. I never did home deliveries but occasionally helped out with picking them and the unhappiness amongst the drivers was worse than instore. Before I quit I didn't recognise most of the drivers. All the store manager is interested in now is whether the spreadsheet looks good at the end of the week. Cant speak of all other supermarkets but Asda were always pleading poverty with the staff saying they cant afford to replace staff yet they make vast profits. Ever since Walmart announced they were selling, the poor workforce were squeezed more than I've ever experience. Literally trying to get blood out of a stone.
I showed my relative your post, he said he can definitely empathise. The only difference being that the middle management are the absolute a-holes. The 'top boss' at the supermarket where his depot is has been occasionally helpful when he's been unfairly pulled up by the middle management by actually listening to what happened from him and applying some common sense.

The thing is the top boss isn't always there and the majority of the time the buck starts and stops within middle management - and there's lots of them. From the stories he tells me, the middle management speak to the drivers like they're dirt and treat them same way.

The Markster

I showed my relative your post, he said he can definitely empathise. The only difference being that the middle management are the absolute a-holes. The 'top boss' at the supermarket where his depot is has been occasionally helpful when he's been unfairly pulled up by the middle management by actually listening to what happened from him and applying some common sense.

The thing is the top boss isn't always there and the majority of the time the buck starts and stops within middle management - and there's lots of them. From the stories he tells me, the middle management speak to the drivers like they're dirt and treat them same way.
The boss at my old store before i quit was relatively new and I think it was her first post in this position but she was clueless and just downright nasty and ignorant. When her opening remarks to staff to introduce herself are 'I don't care about down here as long as the figures work', the operation is doomed. In fairness the immediate leadership there aren't too bad, and hate it there as much as the regular staff thanks to her introduction. Obviously this will vary from store to store, company to company.

On my department, we had 66 - 75% of the staff cut on a night shift depending on the day of the week, and the new no.2 (a minion of the big boss) asked with a straight face 'Why do you think the delivery isn't getting finished during the night?'

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom