Any suggestions would be very welcomed!

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by pinda, Apr 18, 2002.

1. pinda

pinda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi folks, (victim of 2 duff pannys & awaiting repairs)

I have a crappy lecson dvd900 with scart but using s-vid. I project the image on a crappy white wall. But the results are quite acceptable, puts a smile on my face anyway.
    All my movies are pal reg 2 with exception of a few aussie reg dvds. I would like to buy some reg1 dvd's but will i benefit if i'm not going down the home computer route?

Soooo i want to improve my picture using componet..i'm a bit confused to the difference of interlaced/progressive. Not to forget i'm probably losing too much contrast cos i haven't got a dedicated screen.

The real question is..if i had a choice which one is it gonna be A new(which one?) dvd player with better connections or a projector screen?

Thank you thank you thank you very much!!!!
    :)

pinda (victim of 2 duff pannys & awaiting repairs)
    :(

2. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +285
    Pinda

I would go for a new player first :) s-video sucks for dvd playback, componant interlaced is a huge jump in picture quality IMHO.
    I recently went for the Toshiba SD-510, this has componant out for region 2 discs and it is also compatible with region 1 software for progressive scan, progressive scan is a similer jump from componant as is the jump from s-video is to componant.
    This player will offer better sound and image quality over the Lecson, it also has DVD-audio and a Dolby Digital decoder.
    I am very happy with this multi region player at £310 delivered, but can now be had for £260 :( multi region delivered from here it does not say if it is RCE compatible, so if you are interested, email them first, (it should be as it is chipped and not hacked) Obviously you would have to start buying more region 1 discs like I have.
    Van Damme Componant cables are good from the Media Factory.

You would probably be looking at a similer price for a screen.
    Cheap region 1 dvd's from here check out the bargain section.

3. Jonny1973

Jonny1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tim,

How good are Future Entertainment?

Do in stock DVDs arrive in under a week?

Do pre-orders arrive on the release date?

I'm very happy with www.Play247.com but if Future are cheaper and the service is good I'd use them.

4. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I recently ordered Joyride (reg 1).

Ordered Sunday night, arrived Wednesday morning:D

Funny thing was it was posted in the UK:confused:

First time I've rec'd a reg 1 from there???

5. Jonny1973

Jonny1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Future Entertainment are in Kent.

Usually I use Play247 based in Jersey but I'll give Future Entertainment a go.

6. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Isn't it illegal to sell Reg 1 DVD's in a Reg 2 zone?

Most, if not all on-line retailers have bases in the UK, but the DVDs are usually sent from Canada, America etc...

Maybe I'm wrong here:confused:

7. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +285
    I ordered from future on Thursday, it arrived Saturday, the quickest yet :) they will be improving thier jiffy bags in may, they are a bit thin at the moment.