Any suggestions on how I could improve my 4G BB speeds?

devs

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I live in a rural location and struggled with BT and Sky so decided to ditch them and go for 4G.

My current setup is as follows:

Three mobile all you can eat data sim. (working fine)

HUAWEI B528S-23A 4G Router: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Huawei-B528.../dp/B07PW68TW2

and a

Poynting 4G-XPOL-A0002 Cross Polarised High Gain 4G Panel LTE Directional Outdoor Antenna

Amazon product ASIN B00C1DGGKC
If I were to invest in a better router (or anything) am I likely to see an increase in speeds?

I've just done a speed test and I'm currently getting:

Ping: 102
D/L 5.30mbps
U/L 6.76mbps

These speeds vary quite a bit so I wondered if there is any better kit on the market that is likely to help? I'm sure when I first set this up a year ago I was getting 20+ mbps D/L speeds..

Any thoughts or suggestions would be great.

Many thanks :)

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
I believe it's possible to force the router to use a faster band, even if the signal strength is weaker. This might allow you to access higher speed access. Can't remember the details, but worth a search.

Have you tried without the extension antennae? Sometimes they work better on some bands than others and this can limit speed. Try moving the router to a few different locations and use the originally supplied antennae.

Hello mate and many thanks for the quick reply. Greatly appreciated!

That sounds very interesting about forcing the router to use another band. Haven’t heard that before so will definitely have a search. (If anyone reading know anymore please chime in)

I have the router in the loft and without the external antenna the reception was poor. Will double check this again in the morning though.

The router didn’t come with an internal antenna. I just bought and fitted the external.

Thanks again 👍

double check the direction of the mobile tower and that the antenna is pointing at it maybe.

I believe it's possible to force the router to use a faster band, even if the signal strength is weaker. This might allow you to access higher speed access. Can't remember the details, but worth a search.

Have you tried without the extension antennae? Sometimes they work better on some bands than others and this can limit speed. Try moving the router to a few different locations and use the originally supplied antennae.

hey buddy and thanks for the reply! I've just managed to sort it by making the router use only band 3 via the mast.

happy man.

Cheers :)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom