Any suggestions on a TV bracket/ stand that allows outward and then a lot of sideways movement

stevefromleeds

Novice Member
Hi everyone

My living room is quite long and thin and owing to the position of the door and the chimney breast our 50" panasonic TV is currently sat on top of a TV unit to the left of the chimney breast and the settee is infront of the chimney breast.
This means that anyone sat on the settee has to turn their necks to the left to look at the TV rather than looking straight ahead. The people sitting on the right hand side of the settee have to turn their necks the most as they are furthest from the TV. Everyone gets sore necks.

The settee can't be moved to the left so it is more in line with the TV as the door to the living room is there. The TV can't go on the chimney breast as we have the recessed gas fire roughly where we would want the TV to be, which pumps out a lot of heat.

To allows us to watch TV I'm after any advice on how the TV can kept in the chimney breast alcove when not is use but then pulled out and slid sideways when we are watching it (so long as the fire is off).

Any movement to the right for the TV would be better than it is now but ideally about 40 inches / 100cm.

The attached photo was taken with me sitting in the 'best' seat on the settee (the left most seat) which as you can see still requires the left head turn.

Maybe it's not possible to move it to the right in which case any alternatives would be great.

The chimney breast wall is 14" / 36cm out from the alcove, please let me know if you need any more info.

Any advice would be greatfully received

Thank You
Steve

Attachments

• 20211227_180014.jpg
    20211227_180014.jpg
    177.1 KB · Views: 21

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Assuming the fire will be Off when you plan to ’swing’ the TV into position have you looked instead at a bracket which would allow you to position the TV above the fire for most of the time and then lower it down the wall when you want to watch a movie etc

As an example ( haven’t used this unit - Glide Wall Mount | Height Adjustable TV Wall Mount | Ergotron)

Joe

stevefromleeds

Novice Member
Thanks Joe, I hadn't thought about this option. It's an interesting possibility.
Would there be any negative effects for the TV spending time above the fire when the fire was on, TV off do you think?

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Ideally try a test with a thermometer where the bottom edge of the TV would be when you have the fire on.

Most brackets allow you to 'hang' a Soundbar below the TV - I guess you could hang something akin to a small mantle to deflect any heat away from the TV.

Joe

Jester1066

Most brackets allow you to 'hang' a Soundbar below the TV - I guess you could hang something akin to a small mantle to deflect any heat away from the TV.
Love this suggestion. You could even cover said "mantle" in heat reflective foil (like the stuff you put behind radiators).

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Maverick UK Premiere IMAX Review + Top Gun, Tom Cruise, Tony Scott and 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom