Any suggestions for my gates?

John7

I wouldn’t worry about painting them. They won’t be there long enough before the local drive-by scrap metal collectors spirit them away in the small hours :D

Carbon 60

I have much smaller, not as wide, triple wrought iron gates and matching wrought iron panels above the dwarf wall (on my detached bungalow), which I had painted to match the light oak uPVC double glazed windows and front doors. So the main body of the ironwork is light brown Hammerite and the scrollwork picked out in a very light and subtle, almost silvery, gold Hammerite.

Everyone has commented favourably on how different the brown looks, and I much prefer it to the boring black and gold you see everywhere. My painter was dubious before the job began but was won over afterwards. I'm about to have the wrought iron repainted in the same colours as it's been in situ over 10 years now and definitely past its best.

Can't see the colours of your windows and front door but perhaps you could do the same?

Mr X

Distinguished Member
Come on, let’s see a photo!
Here you go if it helps,...
tempImagelS7gNG.jpg

As I said, I'm not a fan of the gold and black look and these are 10 years old now and have never been painted since new. I did buy some black paint a few months ago to give its first refresh but I'm just waiting for the sun to come out...any day now!!!

CyberCad

Here you go if it helps,...
View attachment 1563284

As I said, I'm not a fan of the gold and black look and these are 10 years old now and have never been painted since new. I did buy some black paint a few months ago to give its first refresh but I'm just waiting for the sun to come out...any day now!!!
Thank you! They look very smart. All black is much better. Your driveway is similarly paved to mine. It looks very nice indeed. There is nothing worse than that awful tarmac you see so often.

Mr X

Distinguished Member
Thank you! They look very smart. All black is much better. Your driveway is similarly paved to mine. It looks very nice indeed. There is nothing worse than that awful tarmac you see so often.
Thanks and yes not a fan of taramac. The bricks looks a bit messy in that pic as once a year I jet was and refill with silver sand and that pic was when I hadn’t brushed off all the last bits as it started to drizzle.

good luck with whatever you decide and hope to see the finished before and after shot one day!

CyberCad

Thanks and yes not a fan of taramac. The bricks looks a bit messy in that pic as once a year I jet was and refill with silver sand and that pic was when I hadn’t brushed off all the last bits as it started to drizzle.

good luck with whatever you decide and hope to see the finished before and after shot one day!
Wait! I think you might have another solution for me. I am forever scraping grass shoots and weeds from between the bricks. What is a jet wash? What is silver sand? It sounds quite regal...

Mr X

Distinguished Member
Wait! I think you might have another solution for me. I am forever scraping grass shoots and weeds from between the bricks. What is a jet wash? What is silver sand? It sounds quite regal...
Jet wash is just a high powered pressure washer. Once a year it’s worth cleaning all the grime off driveway bricks to keep them looking good. Sliver sand (or kiln sand) is just very fine grained sand ideal for filling in gaps between bricks but it doesn’t prevent weeds it’s more decorative and to stop dirt/mud build up which I suppose would also make it easier for weeds. You. You can also treat the bricks and “seal them” which is like a clear finish over the top. It’s quite time consuming and expensive but does prolong the new look as keeps the colours from fading. I’ve never done this personally but would love to (driveway is very big, it can be expensive and above all takes a lot of man hours!)

As for weeds, a lot really depends on how well it was laid by the builders. I’m quite lucky that we get very few if any weeds but at my previous house it was non stop. So other then weed killer and pulling them out regularly I don’t think there is much you can do.

CyberCad

Jet wash is just a high powered pressure washer. Once a year it’s worth cleaning all the grime off driveway bricks to keep them looking good. Sliver sand (or kiln sand) is just very fine grained sand ideal for filling in gaps between bricks but it doesn’t prevent weeds it’s more decorative and to stop dirt/mud build up which I suppose would also make it easier for weeds. You. You can also treat the bricks and “seal them” which is like a clear finish over the top. It’s quite time consuming and expensive but does prolong the new look as keeps the colours from fading. I’ve never done this personally but would love to (driveway is very big, it can be expensive and above all takes a lot of man hours!)

As for weeds, a lot really depends on how well it was laid by the builders. I’m quite lucky that we get very few if any weeds but at my previous house it was non stop. So other then weed killer and pulling them out regularly I don’t think there is much you can do.
Thanks very much for all this information. I am very grateful to you.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom