• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Any Structural Engineers on here?

TiSwAs

Established Member
Would like some advice on converting my loft.
Looking to board my loft for a starters and i have hit a snag - can i remove the pieces of wood highlighted below? not sure if these are braces and help spread the load - would removing these and boarding in its place be ok? (it's just the top 'V' i want to remove for now.)

loft7ci.jpg

Cheers

stevelup

Distinguished Member
I'm no structural engineer but I can't see what harm it can do removing them as you are going to be putting even more substantial boarding in their place.

It's possible they were there just to keep everything aligned whilst the building was being constructed - they may no longer serve any purpose.

I ripped up lots of similar noggins in my loft when I boarded it out and have not seen any ill effects!

Steve

neilneil

Established Member
The other thing you can do is buy some cheap timber from B&Q the same thickness as the braces and nail them to the joists as well thus making a level surface for your boards to run over.

-Neil

TiSwAs

Established Member
Cheers for the quick replies!

stevelup said:
It's possible they were there just to keep everything aligned whilst the building was being constructed - they may no longer serve any purpose.

I ripped up lots of similar noggins in my loft when I boarded it out and have not seen any ill effects!

Thats what i thought!

Neil Sumner said:
The other thing you can do is buy some cheap timber from B&Q the same thickness as the braces and nail them to the joists as well thus making a level surface for your boards to run over.
-Neil

Not a bad idea but the wood they used isn't planed and is rough as hell and buckled!!

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom