Question Any sparkys in the house? Crusty plug question.

eob

Hello,

long story boring, replaced our dishwasher at the weekend as the recirc pump in the previous one gave up the ghost after 11 years illustrious service.
Old one had been fitted with the kitchen by a "qualified" installed working for MFI.
Looks like he chopped the moulded plug off, fed the cable through the bottom of the cabinet, rewired this plug and connected to the socket.

Plug1.jpg

Plug2.jpg

Old dishwasher was still getting power before I uninstalled it.
Never gave any issues, never any smell of burning.

Any thoughts as to what the cause is?

The scary thing is that we used to put a load on before we went to bed.

Thanks in advance.

neilball

Poorly terminated and/or screw working loose has led to a high resistance connection that has heated up. Can happen on any rewritable plug so should be regularly inspected/checked to ensure all terminations are still sound.

eob

Poorly terminated and/or screw working loose has led to a high resistance connection that has heated up.
I suspected as much. What was the potential for this starting a fire? I checked the nuetral and the insulation doesn't seem badly damaged like the live but they are sitting on top of each other but I guess the breaker on the main board should have protected the circuit if the fuse failed to pop?

Can happen on any rewritable plug so should be regularly inspected/checked to ensure all terminations are still sound.
Thats good advice, after I found this I did have a wee look round the house and everything else is bonded or plug in transformer.

neilball

Cannot comment on how likely it is to catch fire, dependent on so many factors. However it's got hot enough to create the damage without blowing the fuse or tripping the breaker.

You'll need to cut back the damaged cable and refit the plug. If the damage makes the cable too short then I'd replace the entire flex rather than introduce a joint that adds further additional screw terminals into the cable assembly.

If you wanted to go further then you might also want to add some ferrules to the connection. These crimp on to the cable and help ensure the strands are kept tightly together, giving a more secure hold in the screw terminals.

eob

It's OK. The dishwasher has been replaced and I kept the bonded plug in place.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Reported HDMI 2.1 bugs, Audiolab Amp & LG LED Projector reviews + Best of the Month
Top Bottom