Any sparks able to advise?

mr:w

Just to say first and foremost, I will not be doing touching any electrics myself as a result of responses to this post. I'm just looking for info in advance of when our project starts.

We're having a major project starting next month which will include ripping out kitchen, taking out internal walls, a lot of steel work and loads more. Included in this work will be replacing the current consumer unit, new circuits for kitchen / induction hob / outdoor lighting etc.

We've spent last few months doing a load of pre-work - house has basically been replumbed (switched to mains pressured / unvented cylinder, new boiler, new rads thoughout, new bathroom, new cloakroom etc) and while floorboards were up, we've fed a length of this from garage to the current consumer unit in the kitchen. This is because the garage needs rewiring, and this will allow the garage to have its own circuit when the new consumer unit's fitted.

My uncle, retired electrician, has today fitted one of these in the garage, connected to 2 gang socket. The other end is still unconnected to the consumer unit but it is in place ready for wiring in to the new one.

However, thinking ahead, our kitchen's being ripped out start of next month and it'll be around 2 months before the fitting of the new one's complete. We currently have a bog standard electric cooker, same as this, which we'd planned on chucking in the skip.

My question is - can we use the feed in the garage to power the cooker? My thinking is we could temporarily remove the current feed to the 2 gang socket and wire the feed into a 30amp junction box. Cooker would then be wired into the junction box, essentially connecting it directly to the garage consumer unit which in turn will then be connected to the new consumer unit in the kitchen (my understanding is this will be a 40a connection).

Is this viable? Can I connect cooker to 30a junction box, and from 30a junction box to the garage consumer unit? Or do I need a cooker switch between cooker and the garage consumer unit? Or is it simply not possible either way? If it's possible, I can get whatever's needed ordered now so it's ready to fit early in the project

Would be a massive help if we could use our old cooker throughout the build, albeit in the garage, until the new kitchen's ready to go. At which point, we'll disconnect cooker, and refit the 2 gang socket as it's currently set up below.

Garage pics attached for reference, advice welcomed and appreciated. TIA

KoQchfT.jpg

Kuf5OK1.jpg

brunation

I am not an electrician.

we've fed a length of this from garage to the current consumer unit in the kitchen.
4mm
We currently have a bog standard electric cooker, same as this, which we'd planned on chucking in the skip.
11.2KW
My question is - can we use the feed in the garage to power the cooker? My thinking is we could temporarily remove the current feed to the 2 gang socket and wire the feed into a 30amp junction box. Cooker would then be wired into the junction box, essentially connecting it directly to the garage consumer unit which in turn will then be connected to the new consumer unit in the kitchen (my understanding is this will be a 40a connection).

Your cooker needs a minimum of 11200/240 ~= 47A.
Your cable is 4mm which is (IIRC) 30-35A.

So the answer is no.

Edit: spelling.

Many thanks for the info, makes sense.

And yep, seems like a backwards step to unwire the garage consumer unit and socket, replace with 6mm, stick in a 60a junction box etc. only to have to re-do it exactly how it is now in 6-8 weeks time when I can pick up something like this for £100.

goingoingong

Distinguished Member
I am not an electrician.

4mm

11.2KW

So the answer is no.

Again not an electrician

Although that 11.2kW is with everything on at once isn't it?
4 rings and 2 ovens.
1-2 rings (and perhaps one oven?) on their own wouldn't use the full 11.2KW and 4mm cable could be sufficent for a pared down use of the cooker. No Sunday roast lunch with all the trimmings though...:(

No point in paying £100 to get 2 hobs and an oven when there is a working cooker available which also has 2 hobs and an oven.

Last edited:

I am not an electrician.

4mm

11.2KW

So the answer is no.

Was just looking at consumer unit, cooker's currently on its own circuit and has a 30a breaker.

Just tried turning on all 4 hobs, grill and oven and all worked fine.

If cooker required 47a min, wouldn't this have tripped the breaker?

brunation

One other point: the CU in garage is rated at 63A but will be connected to a 32A circuit.
Although protected by the house CU I wonder if its RCCB should be 32A as well.

Edit:

Wonder why the conduit clips are drilled into the mortar and not the bricks?

brunation

We currently have a bog standard electric cooker, same as this, which we'd planned on chucking in the skip.

Was just looking at consumer unit, cooker's currently on its own circuit and has a 30a breaker.

Just tried turning on all 4 hobs, grill and oven and all worked fine.

If cooker required 47a min, wouldn't this have tripped the breaker?
Took rating from zcv66060xe

If the cooker works try Freegle?

One other point: the CU in garage is rated at 63A but will be connected to a 32A circuit.
Although protected by the house CU I wonder if its RCCB should be 32A as well.
For the garage CU, the 32a breaker will eventually feed 9 x double sockets with the other 6a breaker feeding the lighting.

The CU came fitted with the 63a RCD and 6a & 32a breakers so assume the folk who made it knew what they were doing by fitting it with a 63A RCD.

It's softer :)
Yep, this.

We've agreed it's simply easier to try and sell the cooker for a few quid, then put money towards one of these and one of these, both of which have standard 3 pin plugs (which we can use in the new 2 gang socket), and both of which we'll be able to use later down the line when we build our outdoor cooking area. :D

Thanks all for the responses, much appreciated.

oneman

The cooker spec says it's a 30amp connection. A 4mm cable will do as long as it's dedicated to the cooker only however eit makes sense to use 6mm especially as you don't have it as a ring. However amp rating it dependant on run length and what it's running through as insulation and other materials can affect rating. You really need someone who is certified to check the install in person.

Last edited:

oneman

Again not an electrician

Although that 11.2kW is with everything on at once isn't it?
4 rings and 2 ovens.
1-2 rings (and perhaps one oven?) on their own wouldn't use the full 11.2KW and 4mm cable could be sufficent for a pared down use of the cooker. No Sunday roast lunch with all the trimmings though...:(

No point in paying £100 to get 2 hobs and an oven when there is a working cooker available which also has 2 hobs and an oven.
The load rating takes diversity into account, if you check the spec sheet it's a 30amp connection. That is from the manufacturer.

ufo550

I am an electrician :)

If the rated power of the cooker is 11.2 kW, its supply in amps would be 11200/230V = 48.69A
However, diversity can be applied to that figure, because of cycling of the hobs & ovens. That would give you a demand of 21.6A.

4mm 6242y cable has a current carrying capacity of between 17-27A dependant on its installation method. How is this cable run?

Also dependant on how the cable is run, it may require additional protection form an RCD, e.g. in a wall at less than 50mm depth. You might than have an RCD at source and an RCD at the garage end, resulting in two RCD in series, which is not a good design.

I suggest you employ an electrician, at this stage, before things get complicated with poor designs, in you renovation.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom