Any Smart Thermostats allow priority by temperature not time?

JoeW83

Hi, I use a wood burner with a back boiler to do heat my central heating, it doesn't have a massive output compared to a gas boiler but eventually gets there after running all evening. What I would like if for it to initially heat 2 rooms first and once they reach their desired temperature then start heating others rooms and so on whilst maintaining the first rooms. currently the whole system is on normal thermostatic valves but that means as every room is below the desired temperature at the start it is trying to heat everything.
From what I can see most systems such as Tado only allow control by temperature and time so you set a room to be at a specific temperature over set hours, using that system would end up being very similar to normal thermostatic valves as it will still heat all the rooms Unless I only have the initial rooms being turned on the problem here would be once they warm up I would have to keep checking then manually set other rooms to do the same. If there was a system that allows priority of opening up new rooms as others reach set levels it would make the system much more useful in this specific use although I realise this is a very unusual need so is unlikely to exist.
If anyone has any ideas on if this system exists that would be amazing as I have been going round in circles looking at details but not getting anywhere yet. I cant just have standard times for each room to join as it all depends on what time the fire is lit, how cold it is outside and how hot the fire is burnt.
Thans

gg13533

Think that you might need to install zone valves to create different zones for different rooms. Eg we have a downstairs heating zone and an upstairs heating zone which with Hive are controlled separately with respect to time and temperature

neilball

You’ll not get what you are looking for “out of the box”, as none of the smart room-zoned heating control systems will allow you to create the logic needed to hold off certain zones until others reach temperature. So if you want to do something like this you need a platform that includes an API so you can read and write to the heating control system from a separate controls platform where you can write the code/logic to add the extra functionality. Many systems, including Honeywell Evo, include the ability to read and write data to the system, so you then have to find a suitable automation platform that has the interface to your heating controls, plus the programming ability for you to add the extra bespoke strategy to make your zone priority/load scheduling work.

Seb Briggs

Distinguished Member
You could use Hubitat as the code writing is relatively straightforward and supports zigbee, zwave, WiFi wtc

The logic sound straightforward but a bit of programming skill will be needed

If you are using a control hub such as Hubitat it would be more cost effective to get the components separately trvs, relay and sensors as cheaper than an offfthe shelf system that won’t end up being off the shelf in your case

JoeW83

Thanks for the replies, I thought it was unlikely there would be anything that would do what I wanted out of the box but it was worth a try, although I am pretty practical I think coding a system to do it is rather out of my league so I will probably go with something that I can at least control each rad through an app such as tado as that one didn't require boiler control from what I have seen. Just means a bit more messing about with settings whilst I use it but hopefully I can get it setup for a standard day and just do smaller alterations on odd days.

Seb Briggs

Distinguished Member
Coding isn’t as hard as you would imagine , not the black and white system scrolling past as seen in films

More

If this (and that) then do this and that - level

blue max

Distinguished Member
This will be quite long, but I'll try to be concise!

Hardware:
I have six rads and use five of these:

The last radiator is in the bathroom and is always on to dry towels and keep the place toasty and dry.

They TRVs are built for constant supply systems like are common on the continent.

However, I was able to wire the boiler to a smart socket (which they also sell).

Operation:
I use Homekit to turn them on and off on a time or instant basis. Then an automation triggers the boiler when they turn on (and demand heat). When the last on switches off, the boiler is turned off.

I think you could make an automation to turn on the valves is the other rooms when the main room reaches the set temperature and shuts down.

Probably only worth exploring if you're Apple based and have a homepod mini for thread capability.

The latest video from AVForums

Maverick UK Premiere IMAX Review + Top Gun, Tom Cruise, Tony Scott and 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom