Any Sky digiboxes without the chroma bug?

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by zenith, Jun 11, 2004.

1. zenith

zenith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I recently bought a widescreen LCD TV and have connected a Pace Sky digibox and a Netgem Freeview box to it, both via RGB scart.
    Whilst the pictures from both sources are generally OK, the Sky output has the "chroma bug" on brightly coloured edges. The Netgem output is fine when viewing the same brightly coloured material on the same channels (e.g. Sky News graphics).

My Pace box is about 4 years old and I have also seen the problem on a Sony digibox of similar age. Has this been fixed on any of the newer digiboxes?

In case anyone is wondering what the "chroma bug" is, there is more info here:

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_8_2/dvd-benchmark-special-report-chroma-bug-4-2001.html

2. johnelf

johnelf
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +78
    Interesting, I thought this was only on DVD players, but certainly agree it seems present and shows clearly on the plasma. Before, I had just put this down to poor bit rate.

Lets hope, whatever it is, its fixed by Sky HD in 2006. :clap:

I wonder if an Iscan HD would fix the problem.

Perhaps the techies can advise!

John

3. carpfisher

carpfisher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I believe that the 2nd generation Sony digibox is free of this (VTX-S760, different chipset). If it is still there, it does a very good job of masking the symptoms. The 1st generation clearly had it, especially with red on black. I've got both, and not noticed any instances on the newer model.

4. johnelf

johnelf
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +78
    I have a Pace V1 Sky+ box, and it looks like the cue but it has never been spoken about befoer as far as im aware. Makes me even more thoughtfull of getting an Iscan HD.

John

5. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    It is on all MPEG2 decoders, not just DVD players and is writ large with Sky.

DVDO's iScan Ultra and iScan HD are great at fixing it, and how they do this is the same way that it's "fixed" on DVD players that are "chroma bug free" -- they blur the chroma signal (the color part of the picture). In very simple terms a chroma bug fixed image is not quite as sharp as one with the bug.

StooMonster

6. johnelf

johnelf
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +78
    Many thanks for the response stoo!
    Would I benefit greatly with Sky by getting a Iscan with my 504HDE, or just wait untill 2006.I would leave the 868 plugged in directly via HDMI.
    I have asked this question on the Processor section, but got no response. :(
    John

7. Dr Hu

Dr Hu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Carpfisher:- Are you saying that the silver SKY digiboxes are much better?
    (are silver ones 2nd gen?) :confused:

I have a large TV (36") and an original blue pace SKY digibox and the chroma Bug (CUE) is **soooo** bad.... :suicide:

I was wondering if the SKY+ boxes suffer from chroma errors?

Does anyone know? - are the later silver 2nd gen digiboxes and SKY+ boxes using the later chipset as mentioned by Carpfisher?

I don't really want to have to spend £500+ on an iScan.......if a simpler upgrade to SKY+ will suffice......

Thanks for any input..... :smoke:

8. David PluggedIn

David PluggedIn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    You can minimise the effect using the filters in DScaler, so with a cheap and cheerful video capture card (£30) you can make an improvement using a PC as a video processor. For best quality in the analogue video domain, you need RGB, so you are lookiing around the £200 mark to do that with a PC capture card. And of course, if you want the absolute best, pure digital video direct in to your system for the cleanest video then SDI is the way, though this requires either modifying your existing Sky+ box or purchasing a pre-modified one.
    As noted, standalone processors start at around £500 to £2000 plus depending on spec etc that you need.

9. carpfisher

carpfisher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dr Hu, the original VTX-S750 Sony digibox used the ST chipset, as did most other manufacturers at the time, so expect to see the problem on most early boxes. The second VTX-S760 Sony box used the NEC chipset, which doesn't show up the problem. I watch on a Sony 32WS2 screen, currently with the newer Sony box, and haven't seen any instances of CUE.

10. Dr Hu

Dr Hu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Thanks for the replies - a bit to think about there.....

Johnelf:- You say your version 1 SKY+ box still has the CUE error - do anyone know if the newer current SKY+ boxes have this Chroma Bug...... :confused:

This may tip me over the edge of getting SKY+ - if not looks like i'm on the lookout for a SONY 760......

Which Panny boxes are good for fixing this - if any?

11. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    As above, all MPEG2 decoders have "chroma bug" including Sky+.

This is "fixed" by blurring the chroma part of the signal, which is something the source device (e.g. DVD player, Sky+, etc) or can be done by the screen (e.g. my Panny plasma does, my Grundig LCD does not) or by scaler (e.g. DVDO, Lumagen, etc.).

HDMI will not fix this, it may make it look sharper.

If you get "chroma bug" on your screen from a Sky digibox (inc Sky+) this means that neather the digibox nor the screen blur the chroma and the only way to get rid of it will be to use a device inbetween (i.e. scaler).

StooMonster

12. calscot

calscot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got a silver sony digibox and as I've just got a new lcd tv, I now really notice the chroma bug.

Makes me hanker after an IScan Ultra but they're still £275 second hand.

I could use dscaler but my capture card is only s-video and I'd hate to put on the computer every time I wanted to watch telly.

I think I'll try it though to see if it fixes it. Could be good to use occasionally.

13. Dr Hu

Dr Hu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I posted earlier in this thread about suffering the Chroma Bug on my existing SKY box (Pace 2500B - Navy Blue/Black) - well I have since purchased off eBay an Amstrad DRX300 SKY box for £40 (silver fronted too - which is nice!) and this does not suffer from the chroma bug **ANYWHERE NEAR** as bad as my PACE box did.

I am more than happy with the difference in the picture - the old box really grated on me every time *I watched it - this newer box is great - no bug visible at all, the best £40 upgrade ever!

Just thought I'd let you all know!

n.b the only gripe I have about this new box is that is doesnt seem to spike my TV into AV mode automatically - my PACE box which was always left on, always set my TV - a Tosh 36ZP38B - into AV1 as the TV came out of standby, so i didnt have to manually switch to AV1 - the Amstrad box doesn't do this - so another remote is in use again:(