1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any sign of a release date for the dedicated Media Centre extender?

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows' started by sunlink, Aug 16, 2005.

1. sunlink

sunlink

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    And any price info.

Steve :thumbsup:

2. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297
    Don't know of one due for official release in the UK... apart from the Xbox 360, around November time and around £300 :eek:

lisa

3. meansizzler

meansizzler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +265
    That would be the Xbox 360, with 3 * 3.2GHZ Cores and HDTV Output, price around £300, released around November...

4. evolution400

evolution400

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Have you not considered getting the Xbox Extender Packaged from ebay ?
    IMO thats the cheapest and best solution by far I have 2 Xbox Extenders Setup and they are ace.

5. meansizzler

meansizzler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +265

Better waiting for the 360, way more power.., so you can play back them WMV-HD files...

6. sunlink

sunlink

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks,

Just sent off for the xbox software.

Steve :)

7. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297
    I got my update discs today from Microsoft, they patch the xbox extender software from v1 to v1.01. Their website says that they only ship to US and Canada but they processed my order to a UK address, took a month to arrive though...

lisa

8. evolution400

evolution400

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Sorry but there is no way that I would consider paying £300 for an extender thats ludicrous when the total cost of mine came to under £100 thats inlcudes buying the xbox, extender and WIFI adaptor.
    An extender is not meant to be your primary viewpoint.
    And its the bandwidth that you have to worry about more than hardware i.e people with WIFI like me may not be able to play back HD and a wired connection on a 3 floor house is out of the question.

9. meansizzler

meansizzler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +265
    Wel the 360 does support 108mb/s Wireless A, so No inteference,...

10. evolution400

evolution400

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    "A" is a new standard so less interferences until that gets mroe wideley spread. but the downside is the range is a lot less that "G" and "B" std as most users will state and at present there are no DB boosters only the use of other units as repeaters.
    Wireless "A" is not an option for myself and many others due to the distance I had to purchase High gain DB antennas because my WIFI is spread through 3 floors. WAP on top floor MCE PC on bottom.
    And the 108mb is not an actual std just netgears and dlinks turbo mode which on the G is very unstable and has lots of interference because its limited to channel 6 only. And all WIFI claimed speeds are no where near e.g 54mb is more like 30mb in actual transfer rates.

11. meansizzler

meansizzler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +265
    Apparently Microsoft is recommending only using 108mb/s Wireles A, for streaming HD content to the 360..., but you can get a Dual Band router which can do both Wirereless A/G at the same time, the best router you can get today is the D Liink 784, it's Xbox Live compatible so i'd recommend picking one up if you plan to get an Xbox 360, or just looking for a new router, check the official dlink site for more info on it, but I think the US version is superior it claims it can do 108mb/s Wireless A, while the Uk one only does 54mb/s wireless A, kinda wierd since there both the same model...

12. evolution400

evolution400

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Yeah handy for the people that are getting new WIFI kit they should get the dual band WAP or router and same for the PCS or USB cards etc.
    Its all a big con I am sure when the "A" gets saturated they will then do a C or D and so on and so on. I am sure if they are the same model there will be a nice f/w hack for the router :)
    Mine is running nice now, I only have 1 other WIFI network in close proximity and he is moving out end of the month so it should be even better again :)

13. meansizzler

meansizzler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +265
    Well there is no one else within signal range on wifi except me, and i'm thinking about turning off "Broadcast wireless netorwk option", just to be more secure, but I got a loads of wireless stuff, all running on the 2.4GHZ frequency, the only thing that can saturate the Wireless A band is Wireless A equipment and I don't mind, because at leat my 2.4ghz equipment, eg, Wireless Joypad will not get any interference...

14. Roaders

Roaders
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've heard not very good things abotu the xBox extender kit. Takes ages to start up and slow to use the menus. Also you can't turn it off with the remote :(
    Also of course you have the fan whirring away.

Hope the 360 sorts all of these problems.

I'd still like a simpler, smaller quiter extender for the bedroom for example.

I was thinking of having my MCE in the study and jsut having an extender in the living room. This way I won't have the fans in the PC disturbing me!

15. evolution400

evolution400

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I can confirm the menu system is fine, I can't hear my fans at all when I am watching tv only when the sound goes off completely I have a pyramid temperature control device which adjusts all my fans to low setting and only tunrs them up gradually if your pc gets very hot which mine never does.
    You can adjust your fan speed on the xbox using XBMC if its too loud for you if your xbox is chipped that is.