1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any Sharp LCD users with same problem?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by cerealmuncher, Dec 16, 2004.

1. cerealmuncher

cerealmuncher
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Two months ago I bought myself a Sharp LC-22SV2E. It seemed to have decent reviews and was giving me quite a bit for my money. In truth it was ever going to be a bedroom set but I've noticed problems with the timer functions... i.e. I have to reset the time every time I turn the damn thing on if i intend on using the sleep function. It basically can only keep the time up to date when it is on, not even stand-by is sufficient. I naturally phoned Sharp and was astonished to be told that it was developped that way and isn't designed to keep the time. I found this hard to believe. It is a bit like inventing a toilet that doesn't flush!!!

Has anyone out there experienced similar? Does it sound right what I'm being told by Sharp or are they fobbing me off? Any help would be much appreciated... many thanks.

P :confused:

2. jgrg

jgrg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    That is an example of poor design if it is true!

Since this is a feature you bought the set for, you may be able to send it back to your supplier for a refund because this function doesn't work as advertised.

James

3. Daftboy

Daftboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    The time on this unit is taken from Teletext, so if you don't have an analogue feed, the timer won't work (If you turn the power off. If I remember it's okay in standby).

Anyway, I connected my old one up to an analgue feed and the same problem happened. The fault was with the teletext circuit that needed to be re-soldered.
    To check, see if teletext works.

4. cerealmuncher

cerealmuncher
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for getting back... I have an analogue feed coming in to the aerial point and a sky box connected to the set via a scart lead. In both cases, teletext seems to work. The unit is constantly on stand by and is very rarely switched off completely.

So your TV Teletext circuit was faulty on the same Sharp box? Sounds like a possible common fault and something I have to take up with Sharp.

Cheers

P :eek:

5. Daftboy

Daftboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    From what I understood it was a common fault. The unit has been long sold as I was fed up having problems with it.
    I remember having the unit exchanged and the problem was still the same.

My brother has had 4 units exhanged, but the last unit he got a few months ago, Sharp have assured them the problem has been resolved as there were problems with the solder and the boards. Apparently they were one of the first units they developed with lead free solder.

Anyway, it would be worth knowing what the outcome is going to be.
    BTW, did you speak to Sharp or the service company Sharpserv? I understand that Sharpserv are fully aware of the problem, whereas the Sharp helpdesk are either denying or wording their way around the problem.