any screenshots to show the relative softness of the AE900?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by richard plumb, Aug 28, 2006.

1. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,054
    Just about to pull the trigger on an AE900. I had an AE100 for ages and was very pleased with it, and it'd be handy for the AE900 to fit the same old mount I left on the ceiling.

But I'd like reasurrance that the 'softscreen' isn't too 'soft'. I used to very slightly defocus my AE100 to reduce the chicken wire effect, but I don't want to be losing detail.

Logic tells me that the very happy customers of the 900 mean we're talking tiny differences between that and the Z4/TX200 etc.

2. calibos

calibos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Exactamundo! The consensus seems to be that the Sanyo and hitachi have a slight edge in sharpness when viewing HD but at the expense of more visible screendoor, while even though many notice the differences many people actually prefer the more filmic and less digital look of the Panny. Thats what I have read anyway but have never demoed the other too personally. Love my AE900 to bits.

On a sidenote, yourself, myself, theritz and timh where the original vanguard of Panny Ae100 owners on this forum way back in 2002. I can't believe your Ae100 is still going! I killed mine in 2003 and have had an Ae300 before my Ae900 purchased last Nov. You sure have gotten your monies worth out of it! :D

3. Oakleyspatz

Oakleyspatz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +235
  4. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,054
    thanks for that calibos. Yes, I remember the frantic threads when it was first announced. Even got the flday hoya filter :)

I sold it earlier this year. I knew I'd be upgrading soon. Didn't have many hours on it though as the kids got in the way :/

I was considering holding off until the 1100 came out, but it'll be expensive, and I can buy the 900 now, flog it for £400 this time next year, buy an 1100 after reading the 100-page thread on here, and not have lost too much.

5. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,054
    oh, one quick question. Did you have any problems mounting it? I want to put it straight on my AE100 mount, but I'm concerned about how the lens seems to line up with the middle of the screen, not the bottom edge (top for ceiling mount).

6. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,054
    lastly :), can someone point me to a good thread with settings advice? Not looking for plug and play numbers, but just some guidance on which settings make the most difference.

7. Donnacha

Donnacha
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,522
    I'm still on a Ae100 for the last 4 years (albeit 2nd one!) as the first one died after 3 years. I bought the second one cheap as I thought I'd hang on until HD sorts itself out and there was a really big reason to upgrade! I'm getting twitchy these days - lets see what the next round of PJs bring an then I may jump!!

8. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,054
    after an initial scare at soundandvision and digitaldirect selling out at £855, I found them in stock at Krish AV for £869. should be here tomorrow. woohoo!

(please fit the old mount and don't need repositioning....)

9. choccy

choccy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I was worried about the softness issue but after viewing some hd material through it and normal dvds it is a fantastic picture.

10. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,172
    That is what I am doing as well. I bought a second hand AE100 of ebay about a year ago and have been very happy with it. I will not upgrade until I get into HD and buy a HD format player at the same time.