Any reviews of the Toshiba SD-350e yet?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by xenole, Jun 11, 2005.

1. xenole

xenole
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Always liked Toshiba dvds and noticed there's one out shortly with a hdmi port. Had a look around but can't find much at all on it, let alone a review.

Would like to get a hdmi capable dvd to go with my possible PV500 purchase so a choice between some Denons (expensive), the Toshiba and the Panasonic S97 look like the likely options at present.

2. Roohster

Roohster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,429
    Do any of the players you've listed support 5.1 audio via the HDMI socket, or is it picture only?

3. ahstay

ahstay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    bought one yesterday.worked really well with my AE700 projector through 10m HDMI line. picture quality similar to HDTV with panasonic receiver through component or VGA connection. it is really easy to set up. the only thing I hate about the player is the cheap plastic and the blue neon light at the front of the tray that is quite destracting in the darkened room.
    Could not find any review in the internet.
    bought it for 300 australian dollar.
    I have ealier bought another HDMI player (MAYA, same core as neodigits) which was no good at all. apparently have trouble transmitting signal through cable longer than 5m.

4. squibbly

squibbly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Ahstay

Any mention in the manual of what scaler/deinterlacer is inside it?

Squibbly

5. Lefreck

Lefreck
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There's a small review in this month's issue of the french HT-mag "Les années laser". They liked the exceptionnel HDMI picture quality and the ergonomics. They didn't like the violent blue light either and that it apparently had problems recognizing some dvds ( unfortunately they're not very explicit concerning this problem). They write it has, like its Samsung cousins, a Zoran processor/coprocessor (HDXtreme for scaling). Hope this helps a little bit...

6. wolfgang

wolfgang
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This player looks and specifications are very similar to the Oppo Digital OPDV971H available in US. (BBK in Europe or the rest of the world). If it is the same then it should be good.

http://www.oppodigital.com/

7. ahstay

ahstay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    no mentioned of that. know that it does not contain DCDi

open the player up. It contained the new Zoran Vaddis 778 chipset with Zoran HD extreme chip persumably for the HDMI output upconversion. According to the Zoran website, the same shipset is used in Arcam and Samsung. So this player should have the exac same core as Samsung 850. toshiba have been using Zoran chips for (?all) their DVD players. Arcam make some of the most upmarket player so it is good enough for Arcam, it is good enough for me.

the casing and the remote looked like oppo but I don't think they use the same chipset. the output layout and the tray layout are completely different.

8. ahstay

ahstay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just found out that the oppo used Forouja Chips and the Tosh uses Zoran chips. Sounded like the oppo is a more upmarket player.

9. wolfgang

wolfgang
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That is reassuring. I just bought an Oppo last week all way from the States. SWMBO wondered why I couldn't just go out a buy a DVD player from the supermarket like everyone else especially when she found out how much the Toshiba looks alike and cheaper too. :suicide:

10. squibbly

squibbly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Is the Faroudja better though? I'd always assumed it was the best, but then you spend time on these forums and read about its macroblocking issue when outputting to large HD displays (ie projectors). This has actually put me off buying a Denon 2910.

On the matter of Arcam using Zoran to upscale, I thought that the Arcam DV79 didn't actually upscale? Doesn't it just output 576P and then your display is supposed to do the scaling.

Squibbly

11. ahstay

ahstay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am wondering the same thing. I know that the older Zoran chips were not nearly as good as the Forouja but not sure how the new one compare with forouja. Farauja has got its own problem eg with macroblocking etc. That is why I decided against buying a player with DCDi. Seriously want a Panasonic s97 but not available in Australia just yet.

I know that the older Samsung players with farouja DCDi has some softwere problem and has very average picture quality compare to the Denon which was the 'superstar' of DVD players using the same chips.