Any reviews of the LG 55SM9800PLA (2019 LG NanoCell TV)?

This is my 2nd LG TV in the space of 3 weeks. 1st TV was 65inch OLED c8 and the panel was faulty and o reverted back to LCD 75 inch - seems like I can't win.

I've had 2x LG E9 55" and 1x of this one. This one has started showing flicking pictures on HDR! All options turned off.

I feel you.

What was wrong with your OLED may I ask?
It was the rectangle image - a known fault on 7 series oleds. There is a thread on the subject as it appears to effect quite a few people/

Morning All

I too had doubts about this tv, after reading everybody troubles.

So after weeks of thought i went to pc world to cheeck it out, Managed to play around with one (being used to the magic remote and web os).

Flicked through different picture settings and managed to get on to youtube, I didn,t see any problems.
And the shop was semi dark.

I,ve had the set (49" SM9000) for a couple of weeks now and the picture is great, you have to find/tweak the settings to your own taste, this link may help.

"List of calibration settings for TVs - FlatpanelsHD"

I,m watching mainly at night with a small tablelamp on.

Hope this helps others.

Disabling trumotion helped with football side of things. I bought avengers end game uhd copy tonight and sat in a dark a dark room..
My god the blooming was horrible... White shades (dimming tech probably ) ruined the experience. Any settings to get rid of this?

I've no idea what's happening with that Avengers frame but that blooming is pretty much what I had on mine, if not slightly worse. Oh dear :(

Oh god! Repacking a 75 inch is horrible. If I were to replace what do you recommend stick with LG or get Sony?

I had to return a 65" Sony earlier in the year. Not having the original box, I had to make one - nine fruit boxes from a major supermarket, a roll of bubble wrap, two rolls of packing tape and three hours later..

:rotfl:

I had to return a 65" Sony earlier in the year. Not having the original box, I had to make one - nine fruit boxes from a major supermarket, a roll of bubble wrap, two rolls of packing tape and three hours later..

:rotfl:
The annoying thing about a screen fault is that you spend so long unpacking and setting up, just to have to repack and wait for a collection. I suppose I should have just turned it on while it was still semi packaged up.

Here is the link to the blooming I saw during my 4kHDR copy! I do have other videos that shows how bad the 'foggy' screen was!

Richer sounds have agreed to do yet another swap and I went through many options and wanting to stay with 75 inch but in the end opted for a 65inch c9. Hopefully this is it.

Richer sounds have agreed to do yet another swap and I went through many options and wanting to stay with 75 inch but in the end opted for a 65inch c9. Hopefully this is it.

Can you let me know if you get the hiss on black screens (when it's warmed up after a bit) please?

TV Comparison: Samsung Q70R QLED vs LG SM9000 Nanocell

[/QUOTE]

My personal idea colors and details a way better on q70r, and as the guy say in the end of the video i'm right. In this momet i could got the 65inch of the q70 for 1299 euro, still thinking if the 9800 (1500 euro) could be better.

TV Comparison: Samsung Q70R QLED vs LG SM9000 Nanocell

My personal idea colors and details a way better on q70r, and as the guy say in the end of the video i'm right. In this momet i could got the 65inch of the q70 for 1299 euro, still thinking if the 9800 (1500 euro) could be better.
How much is Sony xg9505 65 inch in your location? Probably a better TV than both. My issues with sm9000 is not just blooming but it's light bleed which is confirmed by the retailer so I would be mindful of this.

How much is Sony xg9505 65 inch in your location? Probably a better TV than both. My issues with sm9000 is not just blooming but it's light bleed which is confirmed by the retailer so I would be mindful of this.
[/QUOTE]

The sony xg9505 65inch is 2000 euro and for that price i could get the c9 or q80r, i'm still thinking about the 9800 only for the hdmi 2.1 and because it got many rewards thia yeas so hard to think it could be so bad.

The sony xg9505 65inch is 2000 euro and for that price i could get the c9 or q80r, i'm still thinking about the 9800 only for the hdmi 2.1 and because it got many rewards thia yeas so hard to think it could be so bad.

Fair point. I had family who had Samsung TV in the past and hated it for 5 years till they switched over to Sony. I moved from Sony LCD to LG OLED and then LG LCD and had loads of issues with light bleed etc. The 65inch Sony is £1799 in UK for their top of the range so maybe you could go for 55inch but it might be small if you are in the market for 65inch. I would personally say LG as I have no hope for Samsung.

Fair point. I had family who had Samsung TV in the past and hated it for 5 years till they switched over to Sony. I moved from Sony LCD to LG OLED and then LG LCD and had loads of issues with light bleed etc. The 65inch Sony is £1799 in UK for their top of the range so maybe you could go for 55inch but it might be small if you are in the market for 65inch. I would personally say LG as I have no hope for Samsung.

Let's see how much i will get from my ks9000 and then i will take a decision.

Well, we made the decision to just replace the SM9000 with a 75Q90R. I know the price is much more, but we couldn't take the blooming and halo effect in HDR content that the set was displaying.
The SDR and HD and UHD pics were excellent generally, but HDR and dark scenes (I like a lot of sci-fi content which tends towards great contrast between black space and bright interiors), was pretty awful. I couldn't get a setting that didn't show poor backlighting, with blocks of light showing as people moved across the scene, etc.
The Q90 is meant to be much better but we shall see when it arrives tomorrow.

Well, we made the decision to just replace the SM9000 with a 75Q90R. I know the price is much more, but we couldn't take the blooming and halo effect in HDR content that the set was displaying.
The SDR and HD and UHD pics were excellent generally, but HDR and dark scenes (I like a lot of sci-fi content which tends towards great contrast between black space and bright interiors), was pretty awful. I couldn't get a setting that didn't show poor backlighting, with blocks of light showing as people moved across the scene, etc.
The Q90 is meant to be much better but we shall see when it arrives tomorrow.
Hear Hear!

Precisely the reason why mine has gone back and is being replaced with a 65inch C9. I think LG messed up massively with SM9000 which is a shame as it has a great speaker inside but HDR dark content was so messed up! Even when you move the magic remote's mouse you just see the light bleed everywhere! Funny thing was, i would promise to myself to not pay attenion and when the 'HDR' label comes up at the top right hand side with too much blooming i start noticing it!

I agree with everything you say. I did plenty of research before purchasing and knew there might be issues with hdr pictures but I couldn’t live with the halo and blooming.
it was so bad that I didn’t want to watch her material because of the horrendous backlight issues.
I especially agree with your comment about the sound. It is really good anc swapping between the sl10 and the internal speakers showed a difference but not a lot, and that is a 1000 pound sound bar. Well done LG for that.
I would have bought a 77 c9 but the cost is really prohibitive. We have. 55c7 (with LG god repair at the moment) and it is great.
Well, the q90 arrives today so I will see what it is like.

I agree with everything you say. I did plenty of research before purchasing and knew there might be issues with hdr pictures but I couldn’t live with the halo and blooming.
it was so bad that I didn’t want to watch her material because of the horrendous backlight issues.
I especially agree with your comment about the sound. It is really good anc swapping between the sl10 and the internal speakers showed a difference but not a lot, and that is a 1000 pound sound bar. Well done LG for that.
I would have bought a 77 c9 but the cost is really prohibitive. We have. 55c7 (with LG god repair at the moment) and it is great.
Well, the q90 arrives today so I will see what it is like.

The price jump from 65 C9 to 77 C9 is insane!

Here my story and point of view. I sold my samsung ks9000 (3 years and 6 mouths old) for 500 euro, i got a good deal and ordered the 65sm9800 delivery in 3 hours, got a call after one hour "sorry you are living too far so we can't give you this service we will ship it as normal in a couple of days". This was happening yesterday, today i went to the shop but the box it's too big and doesn't fit in my car. I saw and used an sm9800 that was exposed and you could notive, even there with a lot of light, some blooming in Web Os(didn't have time for play with the settings). I choose lg because of the price(1500 euro) and some features like full 4k 120hrz panel, the q70r(1500 euro) gives only 60 hrz in 4k. Coming from a led edge tv i hope the lg will not disappoint me, i will let you know what i think when i will get it, finger cross...

I had time for watched the sony xg9505(2000 euro)(first impression better than the sm9800) and looked amazing, same for all Lg oled, refused to take a look of samsung side because of the price and poor future proof of this generation.

Well the blooming on mine is very much present now I've had time with it and it's very distracting in dark movies. I've now returned it.

Not good to read..

I'll elaborate what pushed me to return it. In starfield scenes you can clearly see the local dimming at work. It's just grey squares everywhere and it's very distracting - a poor implementation of local dimming by LG.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom