Any reviews of the AVP700?

cpd

Standard Member
Reaction score
I haven't seen any magazine or web site reviews of the AVP700. Does anyone know if any are published?

Chris

Dunno but mine sounds bloody fantastic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbsup:

It doesn't look like that one is online. How good was the review?

Chris

I don't think I can get it in the USA. At least, I don't remember seeing it in the typical news stand.

Chris

Can't get it in Germany, either. Can't you copy just the conclusion text for us?

I love the sound of my 700 as well. Well done Arcam. This is a winner of a kit.

Regards, Tom

Borders and Barnes and Noble carry UK magazines, including most of the hifi related ones. They arent cheap though - close to $10 for most of them!

that review is in the Nov. issue. Here in Toronto the newstands only have the Oct issue on display. Does anyone have it in pdf or web format? can't wait....... arrrgggh!

avp700/p1000 are reviewed in what hi-fi awards issue, they werent too impressed with it, but i will let my own ears decide

Yes, they gave it a bit of a slagging off. It has certainly put me off a little bit. I was really excited at the thought og getting this combo as well. i wonder what Home Cinema Choice will have to say about it. Does anybody think it better to buy A P7 and the avp700?

Paulst10, Redjay,

Why didn't What hi-fi like the AVP700-P1000. What were the main areas they described.

Thanks

Redjay said:
Yes, they gave it a bit of a slagging off. It has certainly put me off a little bit. I was really excited at the thought og getting this combo as well. i wonder what Home Cinema Choice will have to say about it. Does anybody think it better to buy A P7 and the avp700?

Wouldn't read too much into a tiny and somewhat undescriptive review TBH. From what little real info can be gleaned from the review, they actually like the AVP bit but aren't so keen on the amp (which I suppose is fair enough). It certainly wouldn't stop me at the very least demoing something.
ToF

That's why I don't like units being reviewed together. Many people already have an amp, so they are only interested in the processor. Actually, it wouldn't surprise me if some of the reviews of the 700 aren't glowing either. It seems like mag reviews always focus on features over sound quality.

Chris

Ashmaster said:
Paulst10, Redjay,

Why didn't What hi-fi like the AVP700-P1000. What were the main areas they described.

Thanks

it was only a small review, but the main issues were... a lack of subtlety and clarity compared to top performers in this class, high frequencies lack detail and insight, also not in the same league as avr300 or av8/p7 combo

i have arranged a demo of the avp700/p1000 combo for next week and have also been offered a blinding deal for a brand new avr300 from the same company, so i think will decide for myself on whether the combo is worth the extra money, after all this review was in what hi-fi mag (who have been known to rate a product one month then hate it the next)

They said the AVP700 was not in the same league as the AVR300? That would go against everything I've read from people that have compared the two.

Chris

cpd said:
They said the AVP700 was not in the same league as the AVR300? That would go against everything I've read from people that have compared the two.

Chris

they meant that the avr300 and av8/p7 are as competent with music and movies... but this is not.

My point is that the AVP700 is basically the same as the AVR300 minus the amps (+ HDMI, balanced inputs, and with some improved parts). It's hard to believe that taking out the amps would make it incompetent for movies and/or music. I know there have been a number of people who auditioned both and kept the 700.

Chris

What Hi-Fi = Daily Sport
Hi-Fi Choice = Daily Record (slightly more reputable)
Hi-Fi News = Know What They Are Talking About (Usually)

i did say ... remember this is what hi-fi mag, most people know not to trust their reviews entirely.

paulst10,

Thanks for the feedback. How many stars did they give the combo?

I don't know but this review has to mean something! Maybe the performance is not the best at this price point, cause the AVP700/P1000 costs double the price of AVR300, so there has to be a big performance difference to justify such an increase in price.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom