Any "relatively" cheap HDMI out DVD players/recorders?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by carefactornil, Jul 4, 2005.

1. carefactornil

carefactornil
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm going to be getting the Pio 505XDE and therefore probably Sky's HD service at some point. When the new format DVDs (Blu-ray or whatever) come out and that market is stable I'll probably get a new DVD player that's compatible for that.

So I want something that I will probably only have for a couple of years (starting from scratch). Seeing as I'm getting the 505XDE I was thinking I might get a DVD player/recorder with HDMI out for the benefit that gives. So forget things like Pioneer's 920 as that's too expensive for a couple of years. Ideally I would like a hard disk to record onto (even if it's smallish) until I get the Sky HD as I don't have Sky+ and probably won't bother getting it until HD is out fully. So I'm a bit torn between getting a HDMI out dedicated player only or something that doesn't have HDMI out but does have a hard disk. I'm assuming that there isn't a cheapish solution that does both out now?! (I'm looking at £500 max.

Someone mentioned a Samsung (don't know model) and possibly Denon (2910, 3910?) as possibilities. Any thoughts? :lease:

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    Pio 668? denon 2910?

3. carefactornil

carefactornil
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Horny.

OK - those seem to be approaching the £500 mark.

Originally I'd looked at a player/HDD combo such as the Pioneer 420 which has 80G HDD plus it can record DVDs (not essential for me but a nice to have). The price of that is around £275.

Do you or does anyone think the difference in price (nearly double) is worth it in terms of picture/HDMI? It seems a lot of extra £ for purely a DVD player. I will test various ones against the 505XDE soon but I'd be interested to hear what people think first, especially bearing in mind it's only a stop-gap for a year or so.