1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any recorder with internal battery

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by peejay2, Jun 26, 2005.

1. peejay2

peejay2
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Where I live the power goes down once a week, mostly in summer

I lost some programmed recordings because, after the light went down, the internal clock time was lost. I would like to have a dvd/hdd recorder that keeps the time even if light goes down. It does not seem so expensive to add a battery to keep the clock.

Is there anything of the kind? Can't see it on any unit characteristics

2. knotpc

knotpc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    As far I am aware all DVD recorders and Videos either have an internal battery (usually tiny watch type as found on PC's) and some use an internal capicitor circuit. All should hold information for at least 24 hours or longer.

I moved house a while back and all was disconnected for over 48 hours and they all kept data as if they were never disconnected.

You'll probably either got a loose connection inside or a flat battery. :beer:

3. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I've found with TVs, VCRs, Griudig STB and a Pioneer DVD/HDD that channel settings are always retained.
    The clock shouldn't matter as it is usually set from the TV teletext/ceefax transmission. You may have to turn this on and choose a channel. Make sure you choose one which has reliable teletext/ceefax on your TV (no breakup).
    Timer programmed settings may be lost after a few minutes - the manual should tell you how long in case you need to move the machine.

4. peejay2

peejay2
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    But that's exactly my problem: I want a machine that keeps the clock and the timer programmed recordings

5. SDHoward

SDHoward
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Beware thought that if you have a power failure half way through a HDD recording it can get nasty. AT best you loose the whole recording, at works you loose everything on the hard drive...

6. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Have you considered a PC UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply)? I think basic ones can be bought for about £50. They don't give a long period of protection for PCs, but time may vary depending on current drawn, so could last quite a time for a low power item like a DVD recorder.