Any recommnedations for camcorder recordings.

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Captain Kak, May 3, 2005.

1. Captain Kak

Captain Kak
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am looking to buy a recorder that gives pretty good results for recording from my DV camcorder.
    Any tips mucho appreciated.
    Thanks.

2. MarkhamPete

MarkhamPete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's recommended to get a model with firewire (DV) input. There's a thread in another forum where many users said there was no noticable difference using the firewire input while others, including myself, see a huge difference using the firewire input. Interesting to note that most users who see a big difference were ones who own a Pioneer.

3. billandhelen

billandhelen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ..if you happen to have a Sony camcorder, you will find a problem if you buy a Toshiba RDXS34. The machine needs an upgrade to allow you to transfer to it.

4. sinclair

sinclair

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Canon and Panasonic camcorders work fine with this machine. I thought that DV i-link was a standard. What is the upgrade needed for Sony camcorders?

5. Captain Kak

Captain Kak
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Actually I do have a Sony camcorder. Cheers for that.

6. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    The problem reported with the Toshiba XS34 and Sony camcorders was NOT with the DV-in (I-Link), it was if you used the video (composite or S-video) instead. I saw a similar problem with the XS32 and my Sony camcorder when I tried it with S-video (as I didn't have the right DV cable at the time). Now use the DV input and it works fine.

Mark

7. sinclair

sinclair

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Mark. Apart from not having a DV cable to hand I fail to see why on earth would anyone use a composite or s-video connection to link up their camcorder?

8. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    Yes, this is why I haven't worried about this now that I have the DV cable. It was only frustrating that first time when I tried S-video.

Mark

9. Captain Kak

Captain Kak
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So, are there any models that you guys could recommend.

10. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    The above mentioned Toshiba XS34 has DV-in, 160 GB HDD, and powerful editing features. I have the previous model (XS32) and have been happy with it.

I don't believe any of the current Panasonic models have DV-in. The E95 does if you can still get one... and I think a E95 replacement is comming.

The Pioneer 520/720 has DV-in as well as DV-out. If you are using the recorder as your main method of editing, the DV-out would be useful, providing a high quality way of archiving your edited footage back to DV tape. This is useful as a backup, in case the DVD ever fails.

I do my main DV editing and subsequent DVD creation from a PC, so this DV-out is not so important to me. I find the DV-in useful regardless, if I want a quick way to get some footage on DVD.

Mark

11. sinclair

sinclair

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm afraid that the only machine that I've used with a camcorder is the XS34 that I plumped for. A cheap firewire lead and it's a plug and play deal. You plug in, set the camcorder to VCR play, the recorder opens up the DV window which identifies your camcorder and you hit record. You then treat it like any other recording in terms of naming, editing and burning. You can get a lot more flexibilty and menu options by using a pc but I'm surprised by how much simpler and faff free it is with the recorder.

As I didn't check out this function with other recorders I can't comment but I'd guess that if they have DV in they probably have a similar interface and functionality as the Tosh. Might be worth bringing your camera and a firewire to your local store and ask for a demo. If the Tosh doesn't appeal the upcoming EH60 is going to have DV in and a 160gb hard drive.

12. billandhelen

billandhelen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I started a thread a week or so ago 'Source Copy Protected help'. It might be worth you looking at this if you have a Sony camcorder.

In my experience, it doesn't matter how I link the camcorder to the Tosh - it thinks it is a copy-protected recording and cuts out sfter a few seconds.

This even happens when I try to edit a VHS tape onto the Tosh that holds footage taken on my Sony.

13. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    I did look at (and contributed to) that thread. In that thread you said you didn't try it with a DV cable. Have you now seen the problem with using the DV cable?

As I said, I've seen the exact problem you describe with my XS32, but only when I use a analogue connection, never with a DV connection.

As it thinks the source is copy protected, it sounds to me like something with the Sony footage is making it think it is macrovision protected. With DV, as it is a digital format, this wouldn't apply.

Mark

14. billandhelen

billandhelen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You are right - I have not tried it with a DV cable.

This may solve the problem of editing directly from the camera, but it will not help me to transfer my old VHS tapes onto the DVD recorder.