Any Recommendations in Shares to Invest in?

Trollslayer

Distinguished Member
What's caused this do you think? That's an impressive rise!
They have an interesting range of investments (top ten below).
If you look at the Composition tab here There is:
Dexcom - they make blood glucose monitoring equipment
Tesla - 'nuff said
ASML Holdings - they make lithography equipment for semiconductors
Illumina Inc - they make equipment for genetic variance analysis
M3 Inc - they have a very large medical database and provide access for researchers
Taiwan Semiconductor - obvious and very successful
Kingspan Inc - an Irish building materials company with a global presence
Umicore - they focus on recycling materials from technology items including mobile phones
CHR Hansen - they make natural solutions for the food, drink, pharmaceutical and agricultural industries.

Basically, Baillie Gifford looked away from the usual objectives and it is working very well.

imightbewrong

Distinguished Member

Mystery Man

I have been looking into stocks and shares for some time. I currently have savings accounts I top up every month but think this would be the better way to go. I have been looking at RBS invest and also using nutmeg to get me started, has anyone any experience of using these for a beginner?

Also, I currently have an ISA with RBS, if I want to open one with nutmeg/RBS invest do I have to close this down first?

imightbewrong

Distinguished Member
Also you cannot open more than one new one per tax year (IIRC).

Mystery Man

Thanks guys, I have had an ISA with the RBS for years now. I presume this isn’t classed as a “new” one each year? I am thinking I can leave the RBS ISA as it is and open the nutmeg ISA so long as I don’t invest over £20k collectively in both. Is that correct?

beechy06

Thanks guys, I have had an ISA with the RBS for years now. I presume this isn’t classed as a “new” one each year? I am thinking I can leave the RBS ISA as it is and open the nutmeg ISA so long as I don’t invest over £20k collectively in both. Is that correct?
IIRC you can only have one ‘active’ per tax year, no issue in having both open but just make sure you don’t pay in new money into both in the same tax year

Mystery Man

I thought I could pay into a cash ISA and a stocks and shares ISA both in the same year so long as the total of £20k isn’t exceeded?

beechy06

I thought I could pay into a cash ISA and a stocks and shares ISA both in the same year so long as the total of £20k isn’t exceeded?
Ah sorry I hadn’t realised one was cash one was stocks and shares, yes you will be fine then