Any recommendations for UK-based 360 games and reviews.

Rorifett

Distinguished Member
I work nightshift now and then and since some of you lot decide to sleep during the night :eek: and I read too quickly I've got lots of time to spare during the nights. Can anyone recommend a good, online 360 magazine?

I've got a couple of wants from your recommendations and fingers crossed one of you has the perfect answer :).

I don't want to read American based reviews or previews, I don't like the writing style, the constant p/reviews of american football, baseball, hockey, nascar and basketball games or the way they have nigh-on irrelevant release dates.

I hate pop-up adverts and those 'hover anywhere near a bar at the top of the screen and have a full paged freakin advert appear' banners.

I prefer a light background with dark text rather than dark background with light text.

Hope someone knows something out there which will tick these boxes and give me something interesting to read while everyone is sleeping.

ps I know I could read a book but I'm as bad at choosing new authors as I am at scouring the net for a good game review site ;)

Justafan

I'll give you two. CVG and Eurogamer. I can't think off-hand whether they have pop up ads or what they're text and background is like but it's never been distracting enough for me to notice it.

CVG has more up to date news and also has reviews and previews from 'sister' sites so you can get a lot of content on a good day. Whereas Eurogamer has well written and very fair reviews with lots of detail in them.

I used to read Gamesradar but they've been gradually changing from something cool and funny about games into some awful 'men' type magazine like Nuts or Loaded or some rubbish like that that happen to talk about games - when they're not doing some retarded feature as an excuse for talking about girls or showing pictures of girls or something that has only a tenuous link to gaming. But CVG and Eurogamer should put you right.

Trist

No idea if its UK based, I don't think it is ... but if you've got time to kill & like reading (seriously in depth about gaming) try The Escapist they have regular features about all different aspects of gaming.

Se777eN

Distinguished Member
OXM.co.uk IGN UK? also its not uk based but teamxbox.com.

Codehead

Distinguished Member
Not UK based, but Metacritic.com has reviews from all over the web and gives a score that is an average of all of them.

It gives the most balanced reviews IMO.

Rorifett

Distinguished Member
Cheers guys :thumbsup: plenty of suggestions there, almost looking forward to going back to work!

Ico.

No idea if its UK based, I don't think it is ... but if you've got time to kill & like reading (seriously in depth about gaming) try The Escapist they have regular features about all different aspects of gaming.

Think it's Australian... well Yahtzee's Zero Punctuation is from there although he is a Englishman living out there. I always tune in on Thursday mornings for his weekly review. Good stuff indeed.

RicksonGracie1972

Distinguished Member

Chris05

You could try the site I am a member on

Console Monster - dont let the name put you off, the site is decent and has a fair few regulars for a bit of banter. Its mainly 360 based, but also covers PS3 and Wii.

kopchoir

Banned

shagaboopon

I'd recommend you check out Games TM magazine, I believe they have a dvd with all their back issues stored elctronically wich would provide hours of reading for any gaming fan. I know its not up to the minute news but reading past issues of magazines previews and indeed reviews is fun with hindsight, at least for me. Also the retro sections are always fantastic too.

RicksonGracie1972

Distinguished Member
Just been reading the first page. Very funny!

Yeah Richie, the guy who's the main writer on the site doesn't pull any punches where game reviews are concerned.I like what he wrote about PES2009

Rorifett

Distinguished Member
Trist - cheers for the heads up on that site, it's refreshing to read reveiews that don't just tell you the storyline but instead they break down the mechanics of the games. I'm no doubt gonna be thanking all you guys many more times as the nightshifts are gonna just keep on coming :) :thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom