1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

any recommendations for a good cheap screen?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by mince bigalow, Jul 30, 2003.

1. mince bigalow

mince bigalow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all, I've had my Panny AE100 for a couple of months now and have been projecting onto various things like blackout material and walls etc. I think it's time i got myself a proper screen with a border etc...

...so can anyone recommend a good cheap 16:9 screen about 2m wide with a border. A pulldown one would be fine, or a floorstanding would also be ok. I dont have too much to spend, £150 at the very most but around £100 if possible. I've been looking at some of the stuff on ebay, are they worth a look?

2. Anders_UK

Anders_UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To be fair matey your best bet is to go out and buy yourself a load of 2x2 battons and assemble your own. Cover with MDF sheet nice and sturdy. Make sure the screen is slightly bigger than the picture. Paint with either a matt white or mix a little grey in there as required. You can always mix a little talcum powder in there too to help with diifusion properties and half angle or mix in aluminium flakes to give a little higher gain (this is very tricky advise not to attempt it).

The border you can paint black or put a nice edgeing on it. All these screens to be fair do the job they say they do, but in my years of experience doing calculations and performing tests on these sytems you will be hard pushed to see any noticable difference. Only with a lightmeter will you be able to detect uniformity and brightness variations.

3. mince bigalow

mince bigalow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the suggestion Anders but I'm afraid a fixed screen is out of the question as my pj is in the living room along with the tv etc. What I want is a screen that I can just pull down in front of the tv when I need it so it's not too obtrusive.

cheers

4. Sierix

Sierix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought a DRH Screen (http://www.drhscreens.co.uk) nice image and a good price too - doesn't seem to have curled, but I'm unsure as to how long the curling process takes.

Sounds like the one you are after is the same size as mine (203cm wide).

5. Supernosh

Supernosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    These guys look pretty good.

Which screen/gain did you go for?

6. Sierix

Sierix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I went for the "Screen - Matt White" 203cm width 16:9 one. Very happy so far :)

7. mince bigalow

mince bigalow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks sierix, those drh look pretty good, and the price is not too bad (and they include delivery). would anyone else recommend these or are there better ones about?

cheers

8. mince bigalow

mince bigalow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0