Question Any recommendations for a 10m 4K HDMI fibre cable?

warrocky

Standard Member
So I've had some issues connecting my PS5 to my Benq W1700 projector/Yamaha RX-V383 amp. Managed to get picture and sound now at 4K by changing the amps 4K mode to mode 2, but when enabling HDR on the PS5, the resolution goes back to 1080p stating that 2160p HDR is not supported. After getting some advice on here it seems like the issue may be down to the fact my current set up has a HDMI 2.0 cable >6m. So hopefully switching the to a 10m fibre HDMI cable would allow 4K HDR.

Any recommendations, there's obviously a load of options on amazon but I just want to make sure I get one that works as intended.

mushii

Distinguished Member
What is the output on your PS5 set to, 4k 30P / 60P / 120P ? and what Chroma sub-sampling 4:4:4 / 4:2:2 ?

Your projector is equipped with an HDMI 2.0 socket and therefore its maximum bandwidth is 18Gb/s
4k 60P 4:4:4 (without HDR).

Assuming that you have your PS5 set to 4k 60fps, 4:4:4 your projector is already maxed out at 18Gb/s and therefore does not have the additional bandwidth to support HDR which needs and additional 4Gb/s. I would suggest therefore that replacing the cable will make little difference. If you want HDR you can either reduce the frame rate to 30fps or reduce the Chroma Sub-sampling to 4:2:2 but given the limitations of your current hardware, it is not possible to have 4k 60fps, 4:4:4 and 10bit HDR.

Technical Detail can be found here

warrocky

Standard Member
What is the output on your PS5 set to, 4k 30P / 60P / 120P ? and what Chroma sub-sampling 4:4:4 / 4:2:2 ?

Your projector is equipped with an HDMI 2.0 socket and therefore its maximum bandwidth is 18Gb/s
4k 60P 4:4:4 (without HDR).

Assuming that you have your PS5 set to 4k 60fps, 4:4:4 your projector is already maxed out at 18Gb/s and therefore does not have the additional bandwidth to support HDR which needs and additional 4Gb/s. I would suggest therefore that replacing the cable will make little difference. If you want HDR you can either reduce the frame rate to 30fps or reduce the Chroma Sub-sampling to 4:2:2 but given the limitations of your current hardware, it is not possible to have 4k 60fps, 4:4:4 and 10bit HDR.

Technical Detail can be found here

When its on 4K resolution the info the PS5 gives me is that the resolutions is 3840x2160 - 60Hz, Colour format is YUV420 and HDCP 2.3. It says avaialble frequencies for 4K output are 50Hz, 60Hz. When HDR is enabled the resolution is 1920x1080 - 60Hz, Colour format is RGB(HDR) and HDCP is 1.4.
Flicking through the setting I'm not sure how to determine if the projector is 4:4:4/how to reduce is to 4:2:2?

Otto Pylot

At 10m (30'), most of us recommend the Ruipro8k Gen-3 hybrid fiber cable. Keep in mind that no cable is guaranteed to work 100% of the time with all setups and installations. Lay whatever cable you get on the floor and thoroughly test it prior to installation. The most reliable connection is a single cable, source to sink, with no wall plates, adapters, extenders, etc in-between. If your cable run is in-wall, the use of a conduit with a pull string is highly recommended as well, if possible.

warrocky

Standard Member
At 10m (30'), most of us recommend the Ruipro8k Gen-3 hybrid fiber cable. Keep in mind that no cable is guaranteed to work 100% of the time with all setups and installations. Lay whatever cable you get on the floor and thoroughly test it prior to installation. The most reliable connection is a single cable, source to sink, with no wall plates, adapters, extenders, etc in-between. If your cable run is in-wall, the use of a conduit with a pull string is highly recommended as well, if possible.

HDMI is currently run as a single cable in wall with a conduit. RuiPro does seem the most recommended browsing around, though I'm in two minds whether or not to buy it as upgrading might not do anything, and its fairly costly for a cable. I may buy a cheaper brand like the Feizlink to see if does anything, or if it just the hardware that doesn't allow 4K HDR.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Have you tried/would it be possible to test PS5 > Projector on the short HDMI cable supplied with the PS5?

10m HDMI - you asked for and received a recommendation for a tried and tested solution :)

Joe

Otto Pylot

@warrocky Feizlink is a company that was started by an ex-employee of Ruipro (they are still friendly). Their cable design is almost the same and uses most of the same components expect the main chipsets, which are proprietary to Ruipro. Bascially Feizlink uses "off the shelf" components but the build is not as robust as Ruipro. They may have improved a bit on the build so it might not be a bad choice to check out but as always, lay it out on the floor first and test it thoroughly prior to installation.

mushii

Distinguished Member
I would take @Joe Fernand advice and test on a short cable. I am not sure the PS5 can output 4k at a lower frame rate or chroma sub-sampling to achieve 4k with HDR on your PJ. The PJ itself does not have the bandwidth according to manufacturers specs. Better trying in a £10 cable than buying £120 cable and finding that it doesn’t work.

warrocky

Standard Member
Thanks guys, I'll try hooking it up directly too see if allows 4K HDR, if so I'll probably bite a get a RuiPro cable.

warrocky

Standard Member
So the Feizlink cable allows for 4K HDR :thumbsup: The only issue I have is pictures take a bit of time to load sometimes, and when I switch between my PS5 and media player, the picture either doesn't appear or takes quite a long while to load. In fairness, the loading times have always been an issue anyway when flicking between sources, and I've never been entirely sure what this is down too, I assumed it's related to either the power/HDMI.

Otto Pylot

So the Feizlink cable allows for 4K HDR :thumbsup: The only issue I have is pictures take a bit of time to load sometimes, and when I switch between my PS5 and media player, the picture either doesn't appear or takes quite a long while to load. In fairness, the loading times have always been an issue anyway when flicking between sources, and I've never been entirely sure what this is down too, I assumed it's related to either the power/HDMI.
Sounds like a handshake issue.

Otto Pylot

There have been discussions about some projectors just not delivering enough current to the chipsets in the active cable causing picture issues. I don't think nothing definitive has been proven but it is a consideration. There is nothing you can really do other than maybe try a voltage inserter so that the power draw is from a consistent source. That has worked for some but others not so.

You may just have to settle for settings that will not cause any issues. They may not be what you want but at least it might be trouble-free.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom