Any recommendations for < £300 (not PS3!!)

DrGekko

Having finally decided to ditch my Tosh EP35 along with the small HD-DVD collection I had started... I need to find a decent BD player, mainly for watching rental BDs- so I guess regional variation isn't an issue. I don't want a PS3 as I already own an XBox 360- this will solely be used in my cinema room, linked up to a Panasonic AE2000 projector and Onkyo 605 amp. Obviously it has to output 1080p/24fps (with auto detection of standard DVDs to output 50fps with decent upscaling capability) and output all variations of current audio formats on the BDs (eg. True HD, DTS-Master etc.)

I'm hoping prices may have dropped since last year but I have no idea about BD players since I was an early Tosh HD-DVD adopter.

Are there any highly recommended/highly rated players available in my budget or any around the corner in the next few weeks? Over to the experts. :smashin:

EDIT (8/5/08)

Have seen these within my budget (prices on play.com)- both look tempting- I assume the Sony's better built or is that brand snobbery??

Samsung BD-P1400 £199.99

or

Sony BDPS300 £249.99

Latest Edit

Have decided to either go for a 40GB PS3 or the Panasonic BD30.... so within a difference of £80, I need to know whether the extra cost is justified- having spoken to one local AV sales manager, he swears by the Panny but to be honest, couldn't give me an objective comparison between the two (other than exclaiming he sold 7 Panny's in 2 days!!)

kingfats

Distinguished Member
Having finally decided to ditch my Tosh EP35 along with the small HD-DVD collection I had started... I need to find a decent BD player, mainly for watching rental BDs- so I guess regional variation isn't an issue. I don't want a PS3 as I already own an XBox 360- this will solely be used in my cinema room, linked up to a Panasonic AE2000 projector and Onkyo 605 amp. Obviously it has to output 1080p/24fps (with auto detection of standard DVDs to output 50fps with decent upscaling capability) and output all variations of current audio formats on the BDs (eg. True HD, DTS-Master etc.)

I'm hoping prices may have dropped since last year but I have no idea about BD players since I was an early Tosh HD-DVD adopter.

Are there any highly recommended/highly rated players available in my budget or any around the corner in the next few weeks? Over to the experts. :smashin:

Hi DrGekko. :)
The Samsung 1400 (cheapest) and the Panasonic BD30 :smashin: bitstream HD audio and 1080p/24 for both. :cool:
You'll have to research the DVD side though.
All the best.

mremulator

Novice Member

Why not the PS3? For £280 it's a fantastic BD player... I do prefer my DMP-BD30 though. :devil:

MIB

I've been happy with my Samsung 1400 at the price point of £200. It's not perfect but at this stage it does the main things I want. I still use my Denon 2900 for SD DVD as this still has the edge.

Nic Rhodes

I think we will start to see more 'rounded' players decending in the autumn, and once people have tweaked the firmwares they should be bug free by christmas. Not a huge amount of time but what we have atm the the end of the 'old' players before the new 2008 seasons players descend. I therefore have always recommended minimun exposure, a PS3 or wait. As time goes by, the PS3 has got better, and the wait shorter so it has made the minimum exposure catagory less and less appealing, especially as we are now firmly in the quiet 'sunny' months with other things to do.

M

Marky P

Think I'll wait. False economy otherwise. The first of the 'new breed' of players should be the panny BD50, followed by the Pioneer LX71 and Sony S350/550. The Sammy BD-P1500 is off my list unless they can guarantee a DTS-MA firmware upgrade. Got 2 more BD's today, so now have 70 discs and no player :smashin:.

1,000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001 threads asking for BD player that isn't a PS3, and everytime the common sense answer is to get a PS3.

If something better/more compliant is released then sure, upgrade but until then i'm sorry to say it makes the most sense ( unless you need analogue outs :D )

D

Deleted member 92943

At £218 for a PS3 from play.com using the code 'experience08'

There's no excuse not to buy one considering it's the most up to date and future proof machine on the market

DrGekko

1,000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001 threads asking for BD player that isn't a PS3, and everytime the common sense answer is to get a PS3.

If something better/more compliant is released then sure, upgrade but until then i'm sorry to say it makes the most sense ( unless you need analogue outs :D )

Hmmm.... my spidey-sense tells me you may be right... would you be kind enough to expand the reasons for getting the PS3 over the other 2 recommended players so far- Samsung 1400 & Panasonic BD30? :smashin:

Also, is the PS3 a quiet machine????

Scott_Mac

Distinguished Member
I think we will start to see more 'rounded' players decending in the autumn, and once people have tweaked the firmwares they should be bug free by christmas. Not a huge amount of time but what we have atm the the end of the 'old' players before the new 2008 seasons players descend. I therefore have always recommended minimun exposure, a PS3 or wait. As time goes by, the PS3 has got better, and the wait shorter so it has made the minimum exposure catagory less and less appealing, especially as we are now firmly in the quiet 'sunny' months with other things to do.

Nic,

What do you consider the "proper players" to be? I assume the BD50, Sony 550 at sensible prices then up the new Pioneer and the Denons etc?

Am i correct? I'm starting to think about switching soon now the panic has settled but want to make sure i'm waiting on the right machine!

I need internal decoding and 5.1 analogue outputs hence assuming the above units

Cheers

Scott

hornydragon

NOt in my experience and it pumps out huge amounts of heat so not at all suitable for e closed installation also control is a faff $50 for an rare BT to IR box or a £10 dongle that give the most basic controls (for those who have one remote to control all)

JEDIBLADE

Hmmm.... my spidey-sense tells me you may be right... would you be kind enough to expand the reasons for getting the PS3 over the other 2 recommended players so far- Samsung 1400 & Panasonic BD30? :smashin:

I don't think this is the common sense answer, the PS3 is very noisey so much so I changed to a BDP-S300 which although very slow at loading discs is the better choice, yes I know it'll need to be upgraded but I usually get fed up and want something different after a year or so anyway. Another downside is that the PS3 cannot be controlled with a universal remote a fact I found very annoying, also the look of the thing is very ugly and does not sit well with other Hi-Fi/HC equipment.

DrGekko

I don't think this is the common sense answer, the PS3 is very noisey so much so I changed to a BDP-S300 which although very slow at loading discs is the better choice, yes I know it'll need to be upgraded but I usually get fed up and want something different after a year or so anyway. Another downside is that the PS3 cannot be controlled with a universal remote a fact I found very annoying, also the look of the thing is very ugly and does not sit well with other Hi-Fi/HC equipment.

Sod the PS3 then!! Can't be doing with a player which is more noisy than the bleeding projector!! :eek:

That was close, was seriously considering ordering one off play.com today! :rolleyes:

Back to the search for a decent standalone player < £300 then.

Scott_Mac

Distinguished Member
M

Marky P

If the PS3 had analogue outs, I'd snap it up today:thumbsup:.

JEDIBLADE

Agreed go with the BD-30!:smashin:

DrGekko

Hi DrGekko. :)
The Samsung 1400 (cheapest) and the Panasonic BD30 :smashin: bitstream HD audio and 1080p/24 for both. :cool:
You'll have to research the DVD side though.
All the best.

How about Sony BDPS300 for £250????

Nic Rhodes

My PS3 is reasonably quiet and certain no competition to my projector.

I consider a proper player to have the following attributes:

Conventional stand alone styling
The required interfaces
The required audio codecs
The ability to have all the codecs working with all the interfaces
Bass mamangement and filtering fit for purpose and one the interfaces fitted
Well made
The ability to update easily
Good quality analogue and digital engineering (low jitter on all interfaces)
The 'power' required to play all discs with ease.
Full BD J support, in fact full support to what ever profile as supplied
De bugged firmware with 'regular' support
Quiet and power efficient design
Flexibility to 'tweak / enable nice extras' like 480i / 576i output, 24p output, bitstream output, lights etc etc to allow future improvements to be gained from partnering equipment
Value for money

DrGekko

DrGekko

Nicking this off another thread "Sony BDP300 vs Panasonic BD30":

Hi The_Munter :)
Seven feet from it,quiet scene in the movie,can't hear the fan. :smashin:
I think the issue with the fan is with games.
I know plenty of people who use the PS3 solely for BD playback and not one of them have complained about the fan noise. :thumbsup:

So PS3 is still a contender for using solely as BD player??? And with price of around £220, admittedly I can always flog this to upgrade for more than a standalone BD player in future.

I think this is going to take a while.... :boring:

JEDIBLADE

I'm very happy with the picture and sound quality of my S300, however I would glady pay an extra £50 if (which I think being a profile 1.1 machine it does) the BD-30 loads the discs quicker.

JEDIBLADE

Nicking this off another thread "Sony BDP300 vs Panasonic BD30":

So PS3 is still a contender for using solely as BD player??? And with price of around £220, admittedly I can always flog this to upgrade for more than a standalone BD player in future.

I think this is going to take a while.... :boring:

I used the PS3 for BD playback and the sound was very loud it also changes pitch frequently which is very distracting. If all you want it for is BD then chose a standalone if you want it for games, internet etc then the PS3 is a must have IMHO.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...

Latest News

What's new on Disney+ UK for February 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Focal releases 1000 Series integrated speakers
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Klipsch announces ProMedia 2.1 BT speaker set
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
No Time to Die gets pushed to 8th Oct 2021
  • By Andy Bassett