1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any reason to go Electric?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by gelf, May 13, 2004.

1. gelf

gelf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'll soon be moving into a dedicated room for my HC and I'm wondering what screen to use with my Domino20. Given that it's a dedicated room I'm thinking of going for a fixed screen however my other half really likes the look of an electric screen (we had one in the old room).

So I'm wondering, apart from the WAF is there any justification at all for me to get a electric pull down screen over a fixed one. It seems to me that the chance of ripples / curling edges, is a major factor against pull down over fixed, plus of course a fixed screen will be considerably cheaper.

Also, does anyone have any particular recommendations for screens that go well with a Domino 20, around the 2.5 Metre wide region.

2. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,578
    Fixed screens are better because you get a flatter screen with no ripples, they are also far cheaper. They're easy to DIY build too, as you can use cheap unity gain blackout cloth (approx £15 for 3m), or use some genuine screen material. It's the frame that costs the money, so you'll be saving a lot by going the DIY route.

If you can afford a Stewart electric screen with tab-tensioning, you'll get a flat screen, but at a price. :)

If you want to buy a fixed screean, there are quite a few to choose from now, and at relatively cheap prices, so do a search for DRH, Ellie, Beamax etc.

Gary.

3. gelf

gelf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that, now I've just got to explain it to the better half :rolleyes:

4. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,578
    Good luck!

Gary.