1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any Reason To Get A Hd Plasma If I Dont Have Sky??

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by jimmyidle, May 12, 2005.

1. jimmyidle

jimmyidle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi. I really don't know much about HDTV, so what I'm wondering is..is there any point in me spending more on a plasma with this conection when I dont have or plan to get Sky TV. Will the picture from a dvd player with a DVI conection be far better than component. I'm looking to get a plasma soon and dont know whether to wait for the new Panasonic 500 series or go for the 50 series which you can get some great deals on. All opinions are most welcome!!
    Thanks
    Jim

2. mike7

mike7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +512
    Later this year or early next there will be Blu-ray or some other formats of DVD that will display a high def picture. Nobody seems very sure what the interface with the new generation of DVD players will be, but it will certainly be an improvement of DVD as it is at present and by HDTV standard. -watch this space!

3. TonyA

TonyA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +217
    If you buy a HDTV Ready set you are future proofing yourself.

It's not only SKY that will be eventually broadcasting in HD - The BBC are already commited to moving all of its broadcasting to HD by (I think) 2010.

Then we come to the next generation of DVD - HD-DVD or Blu-Ray or the talked about "hybrid. These will carry HD content (over HDCP via HDMI or DVI).

With plasma's now lasting longer than ever before, it may be best to "future proof", rather than purchasing a slightly cheaper set.

4. theo cupier

theo cupier

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +113
    Really dumb question about HD DVD / Blu-ray:

Will this work through new 'HD' players and new release HD DVDs or will the new players be able to extract higher definition signals out of all my current DVDs?

5. jimmyidle

jimmyidle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers folks, I think I might be better of getting something thats a bit future proof. Think I will try and hold out for the new Panny 500 series. Hope there not long as this money in burning a hole in my pocket, really want a plasma soon.

6. TonyA

TonyA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +217
    Using HDMI or DVI - a blu-ray or hd-dvd, will probably be able to upscale the image of a DVD to that of the screen that it is being played on.

However, this will not be "High Definition" as such, as the output is only going to be good as the input.

Standard DVD's only contain a fraction of the data that is available on a blu-ray disk, or hd-dvd disk.

Have a look at the following link, which has some very useful info on the subject.

http://www.hometheater.about.com/od/dvdbasics/a/bluhddvdinfo.htm

7. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +474
    thanks for the link tony...very helpful

8. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    If your a gamer both the xbox 360 and the PS3 will support HD.