Any reason NOT to get Panasonic TH37PX80

milney100

Standard Member
I think I have decided to get the Panasonic TH37PX80. That or the Panny TX37LXD85.

Am I right to favour the Plasma panny over the LCD?

I know the blacks are better on the plasma, as is the sound (according to reviews). The price difference is negligible (£20)

All thoughts welcome. Hoping to speak to owners of both sets.

Thanks in advance.

late8

Depends what kind of image you want and how you use the TV. Personally your right to choose the Plasma over LCD. A Plasma image is more cinematic and doesnt pop out of the screen. If you like bright highly colourfull pictures a LCD will suit you more there are downsides to this pannel that all the hype seems to gloss over...

- Some panels suffer from loud buzzing noise

- Motion blur is still noticable even on 100hz coupled with phosphor lag (but not as bad as LCD)

- Screen is still quite reflective and a double image can be seen at a 160deg angle (LCD is non reflective)

- Contrast is fantastic but the image isnt a bright as a LCD- suffering in normal daylight rooms.

- Worst whites i have seen on a plasma- the screen seems to turn the power down on white backgrounds creating a grey wash even with powersave mode off.

milney100

Standard Member
I currently own the LXD70 (32 inch) myself and it has been great which i why I am a little reluctant to move to the plasma.

The tv is actually for my parents (but i am buying and choosing ;).

It will be used mainly for freeview, through either the inbuilt tuner or through Humax 9200TB. In time, I will buy them an upscaling dvd player but as i say predominant use will be freeview.

Does that help?

ps I do experience some buzzing through my LXD70 but only when the set is off. Are you saying there have been reports of buzzing on the plasma when it is on?

rewerb

Novice Member
I have the 37PX80. Mine doesnt buzz, cant here anything, though I can hear my V+ box.

Plasma on motion is better than LCD, the only blur I see is when you get a poor freeview transmission.

Viewing angles are superb. Unlike LCD where the colour/contrast fades when you get off centre.

It has had great reviews everywhere, very good value for the money.

YellowSphere

Novice Member
Between those choices, the plasma is the better television. There are some 37" LCDs that beat it, but for well over twice the price.

punkymunky

The PX70 is probably the best freeview screen you can buy at any size, I think it's just scooped the 37" of the year award again! in What HiFi.

There is no buzzing and also no fans in this model.

Super wide viewing angle is one of it's BIG advantages over LCD, to see the double image you have to be a near right angles to the screen.

curveball

Novice Member
I currently own the LXD70 (32 inch) myself and it has been great which i why I am a little reluctant to move to the plasma.
quote]

I spent months agonising over LCD v Plasma (always had LCD) and, thanks to people on here and my next door neighbour, I made a leap of faith and switched to plasma.

You have to get used to the softer image but I have no regrets whatsoever moving over to the dark side :thumbsup:

Nice one. Just what I wanted to know too!

I primarily want one for gaming and I'm torn between the two.

So much subjectivity. There's no definitive answer, for either LCD or Plasma.

I've realised I'm just going to have to try one or the other and hope it's the right choice. I've gleaned this information from the myriad of threads I've read...

LCD -------------------------- Plasma

Motion blur ---------------- Possible phosphor trails
Slower response ------------------ Faster response
Brighter picture -------------------- Not such a bright picture
No reflectivity -------------------- Reflectivity
Good blacks -------------------- Best blacks
No image retention -------------------- Possible image retention
Sharper picture -------------------- Softer picture
No run in times --------------------100+ hours run in time

I'm sure there's more variables to help confuse you but I'm just going to go with Plasma first and if I don't like it go to LCD.

Last edited:

stevo3012822011

Standard Member
I bought the panasonic th37px80 2 weeks ago after months of debating wether to get plasma or lcd all i can sya is get the plasma its is amazing in every way. I use mine for my ps3 gaming i would advise tho for the first 200 hundred hours set the contrast and brightness down below halfway just to reduce the chances of burni in or image retention. The chances of you getting burn in are very very slim you would have to leave an image on your screen for 20 hours aday for a week if you do get image retention just put it on a static channel for few mins and its gone any oher questions you have m8 just ask.

Justafan

Novice Member
I thought I'd chip in with my two cents worth since I took delivery of this very set not more than two weeks ago.

It's the first plasma I've owned, having had a 32" CRT for a good number of years previously.

I'm using the oft-mentioned reduced settings to break it in and reduce any possible potential for screen burn, and will continue to do so until around December. I use a Humax freeview tuner and a Pioneer DVD player and xbox 360. Humax connected with RBG scart, Pioneer with component cables and 360 with HDMI.

In short, I love it!

I've read this forum for a while and know all about the supposed downsides of plasmas, which therealgiblet has summarised below. And I'm genuinely, honestly not sure I've seen ANY downsides. And I scrutinize the hell out of a picture! I MAY have seen some instance of motion blurring or phosphor trails when using the 360, but it's so miniscule and hard to spot it's hard to really be sure. And it depends on how you look for it - for instance in GTA4 when I quickly move the camera left to right there looked like some very slight ... hard to describe but some edges to buildings looked like there was a vague yellow tint to edges which may have been a little blurry. But you really have to look for it, and the image never looks anything but completely stable and free from any sort of imperfections when playing the game normally. I've never seen any sort of problems when playing Skate, Pro Evo Soccer or any racing game.

I haven't bothered tuning the set with its internal tuner but freeview images via the Humax look really good, depending on the channel and quality of source. They look FAR better than a lot of plasma and LCD sets I've seen in shops with freeview on display.

And DVD pictures are starting to look quite amazing. I should also say that this set is slowly but steadily improving in image quality. There is a noticeable difference between when I first switched it on to two weeks later. It's true what they say that plasma's give a more stable and natural image. I wasn't sure how I'd even notice this considering my old CRT was a really good and well renowned set (Toshiba picture frame 2) but I can definitely appreciate these qualities now. It's hard to describe it to someone who isn't aware of how it could look but it's like the picture looks less artificial somehow. And there is a little more detail and colours do indeed look more natural. And remember this is just with standard def DVD and reduced settings! (cinema with brightness and contrast down to about 30%)

There IS a buzzing coming from the back, and has been dissected in other recent threads, but I will say I managed to solve this with two pieces of folded cereal box cardboard wedged between the back of the set and the mounting rails!

Oh, and you definitely do get image retention so yeah you have to be careful about that. You also have to really look for it though. For instance, if I watch a film in 2.35:1 ratio and there are black borders at the top and bottom you might notice the borders still there afterward - but only if you are looking for it on a pure black or pure white image, though they do fade after a few minutes use of any moving image that fills the screen. And the 360 dashboard blades can be spotted after only a few minutes of them being on screen. But again, only if you're looking for them on a pure black image.

But I definitely love this screen, and can't believe that it's only going to look better in the coming weeks and months and when I can finally calibrate it properly. Buy with confidence!

Last edited:

wHoMe

Depends what kind of image you want and how you use the TV. Personally your right to choose the Plasma over LCD. A Plasma image is more cinematic and doesnt pop out of the screen. If you like bright highly colourfull pictures a LCD will suit you more there are downsides to this pannel that all the hype seems to gloss over...

- Some panels suffer from loud buzzing noise

- Motion blur is still noticable even on 100hz coupled with phosphor lag (but not as bad as LCD)

- Screen is still quite reflective and a double image can be seen at a 160deg angle (LCD is non reflective)

- Contrast is fantastic but the image isnt a bright as a LCD- suffering in normal daylight rooms.

- Worst whites i have seen on a plasma- the screen seems to turn the power down on white backgrounds creating a grey wash even with powersave mode off.
I would take your screen back if it has all of the above !

My parents have a TH42PX80 and it has none of the above

The only thing I would say is maybe consider a bigger one, plasmas look large at first but the longer you have them the smaller they seem to get :rolleyes:

>>X<<

Eiji

The only thing I would say is maybe consider a bigger one, plasmas look large at first but the longer you have them the smaller they seem to get :rolleyes:

>>X<<
ALL of the points late8 made are correct. Its up to each individuals perception as to whether they notice these or not. Phosphor trails and motion blur for example are most evident when gaming and even then its some games and not all that its obvious on so a gamer would notice phosphor trails.

juLZ007

Novice Member
lcd is pap technology.. go with the plasma

even comparing the 'new' 'amazing lcd' 40Z4500 (over £1600), to a ~£850 42PZ85, the plasma wipes the competition away with ease

of some of the plasmas shortcomings, there are way more benefits over lcd and until another tech comes out such as oled or sed, plasma will continue to be king

late8

>>X<<
well all I can say is look harder! Some people just don't notice or know what to look for or simply can't see it due to eyes. I doubt your parents TV doesn't have these issues as every plasma does so.

Last edited:

matt41

Novice Member
Its too small.
The only LCD to touch plasma are the latest sonys.IMHO.
Its still to small!

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Hi-Fi products of 2020, Plus Best of the Month for TV Shows & Movies
Top Bottom