1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any reason not to get a Sony DCR-PC105?

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by markleman, Oct 6, 2003.

1. markleman

markleman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello All,
    I am considering buying a Sony DCR-PC105 and before I part with my money I though I had better tap in to the vast pool of knowledge here :). So does any one have any real gripes with this unit or care to recommend alternatives for me to consider?

My requirement is for:
    * Smallish camcorder for home and occasional work use (if it's too big it ends up getting left behind - hence I always have my canon IXUS digital still camera with me :).
    * Mini DV format
    * Prefer to have a manual focus ring
    * Firewire IN and OUT
    * Reasonable optical zoom.
    * Price <£1000.
    * Completely illogical liking for Sony products (base on my previous job - see below). Would consider other makes :)

I find my self in an odd position here, about 10 years ago I worked as a camcorder salesman and knew all the models like the back of my hand - in those days I would have chosen a Sony TR705 Hi8 camera. Then I moved on to become an electronic engineer designing video electronics and have completely lost touch with the state of things. When I decided it was time to get a camcorder I popped in to my local Dixon’s (don’t worry I wont buy it there) and was shocked by how small they have become!

Recommendations and good places to buy received with thanks....

2. carl1

carl1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hello there im in the same positon as you so im waiting to see the wealth of other peoples knowledge im also looking at the sony trv33 so if anyone could shed any light , it would be much appreciated:confused:

3. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,389
    Hi Mark & Carl, welcome to the forum :hiya:

I tend to agree with Mark about liking Sony camcorders. But instead of that making life easier it only narrows the choices slightly. There are just so many camcorders from Sony alone.
    The smaller the requirement the more expensive and/or lower quality the camcorders become. The very small units like the DCR-PC105 will tend to have less manual features as all the buttons and dials take up space.
    The TRV33 is highly recommended by several people on this forum and seems to be a good compromise between quality, size & price.
    My recommendation would be to find a local shop and play with a few models and see which ones fit what you require. Then go home and find the lowest internet price. Then go and find a local Jessops who will price match from the internet as long as you have the details of the site & contact details. If the worst happens then at least you can go and shout at somebody face to face :devil: rather than just over the phone if bought off the internet.

Mark.

4. carl1

carl1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    THKS VERY, MUCH OFF TO JESSOPS TONIGHT , THKS FOR LETTING ME KNOW ABOUT THE PRICE MATCH, MUCH APPRECIATED THATS SAVED ME A FEW QUID ALREADY I THINK !! AS I WOULD OF FELT BAD USING UP THEIR TIME FOR NO SALE

5. markleman

markleman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm glad I am not in camcorder sales any more. It must be very depressing to put a lot of effort in to explaining all the features of a camera and then have the sale go to some 'pile it high' on-line vendor with no overheads. Even more so these days when there is so much more to explain. I used to have a standard list of 15-20 questions to ask a customer, took about 10mins to narrow down to a couple of models that suited their needs. It was always worth the effort and the customers usually came back later for extras - It always annoyed me when the shop owners said 'try to push this model we have lots in stock to shift' (usually after they had done some dodgy deal to get them). I always ask for sealed cartons when I buy stuff in shops to make sure its not been tapered with/modified/put on display and check the bottom of the box too as I’ve seen boxes opened underneath and mains plugs swapped to hide grey imports.

Still back to the point of this thread, I think my local Jessops will get a visit and a little haggling before a sale…..

Any recommendations for 3rd party extended warranties/insurance?

6. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,389
    IMO they are a real waiste of money. Most of the time if an item lasts past the 1 year guarentee it will last past the 3 or 5 year extended. As long as its looked after that is.
    I just have 'away from the home' cover on my household contents insurance that covers my camcorder and it only costs a few extra £'s a year.

Mark.

7. markleman

markleman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know the retailer’s own extended warranties are often a con but 3rd party ones have been recommended in the past.

Good point about the home insurance though, as an electronic engineer I do subscribe to the 'if it lasts a year....' point of view. Most failures are likely to be due to accidental damage and then a warranty is not going to cover it where as insurance will.

8. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    I picked up a PC105 from Jessops on Saturday. Very nice camcorder. Picture quality is good and it doesnt suffer from any focus lag. Reasonable in low light too.

Downsides -

1. battery protrudes from body
    2. only 8mb memory stick supplied as standard
    3. Zoom button really awkward to get to (and very small)
    4. Buttons accessed via touchscreen display - not the easiest to hit the right button for fat fingered individuals like myself.

9. markleman

markleman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do you mind telling what deal you got on it?

10. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    They gave it to me for £799 - you can get it for cheaper (about £700 I think) and they will price match to it. They were not wlling to go lower on mine as it was an insurance replacment (I used vouchers).

Just do a search on Kelkoo - sort the search by price, print it off and walk into your local Jessops - they will price match (esp the London branches e.g Moorgate)

11. markleman

markleman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well Jessops would not match the best UK internet price I found on the PC105 :(. The best they would do was £762.47 so it's off to the internet I go....

http://uk.pricerunner.com/sound-and-vision/vision/camcorders/142825/prices
    http://www.dealtime.co.uk/xPC-Sony_DCR_PC105
    http://www.kelkoo.co.uk/search.jsp?siteSearchQuery=Sony+DCR+PC105&catId=100164013

Finds
    http://www.hiwayhifi.com/site/product.asp?section=&5&Cat=25&Sub=69&Prod=20464&ref=kelkoo
    @£703.99

As for Currys they would not shift from £999, hahahahahahahahahahahahah.

12. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    Which store was this mate ?

13. markleman

markleman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tunbridge Wells - They rang up for an 'authorisation' code on the price match (which was 226790 because the lass wrote it down on my printed advert). If you can get it matched anywhere else by Jessops then try to get the code for me...

14. markleman

markleman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I've gone and done it. Ordered Sony DCR-PC105 from hiwayhifi at £703.99 incVAT + £6 delivery. They say it is in stock an will be with me by Friday. Fingers crossed (but thats what you have VISA cards for, to cover in case it all goes wrong)

15. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    EIther the 33 or the 105 is a good buy as they are Sonys starter models for anamorphic wide screen

16. si2k

si2k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just purchased a sony PC105 from www.techtronic.com i recieved it within 5 days and it loads of fun. Cost me in total 899 quid. That was including the camcorder for 700 i think (my access is playing up otherwise i would check) and 2 years extra warranty, sony camcorder bag, and an extra battery. Really thats the best deal i could find anywhere.

The Sony software that comes with it is very poor in my opinion. You always have to end up searching the help menu to get a clear idea of what to do. Plus my system is very delicate and i simple purchased a better bit of software.

Now i have been looking around on the net to try and find information about filters, specifically to fit the 30mm lens and obviously cheaper the better. Does anyone have much experience in the filter and lens area? All advice would be really appreciated!

Cheers

Si

17. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,389
    Hi si2k
    Filters: expect to pay at least £10 for a filter. If it is cheap and nasty you will just end up passing that on to whatever you try to film. A good filter will give good results. I normally put a Hama or similar make filter on the front of all my cameras/camcorders to protect the lens. Anything that is not going to affect the picture too much is fine ie polariseing/Skylight etc.

www.keene.co.uk
    30MM SKYLIGHT 1B FILTER FOR DIGITAL CAMERAS [DFSKY30] £19.99 (£17.01 ex VAT)

Mark.

18. si2k

si2k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank Mark, that website you suggested is great. Even provides lots of usful info so you actually know what your purchasing.

Many thanks

Simon

19. markleman

markleman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's arrived - next day :) 9/10 to highwayhifi, -1 mark because they could have packaged it a little better for my liking, but it arrived in one piece. Now I have to get some tapes so we can have a play at the weekend.

Slightly surprised Sony dont include a firewire cable in the box, only a USB one, still I have a spare one so not a disaster.

20. UrbanT

UrbanT
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,034
    Just bought one a few months old from a guy on Ebay. Boxed, receipt, extra battery and case for £476

Didn't think that was a bad bargain :)

21. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

22. markleman

markleman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good work :)

23. aidey6

aidey6

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    I got one from ebay in July brand new (the box was still sealed!!) for £536, The person whom I outbidded had the cheek to mail me and ask if I did n't want it then to mail him and he would pay what I'd won it at..

I am not a serious user yet, I just use it for the usual birthday and holiday moments so far.

I had to get a QM-71D (I tried my mates QM91 from his pc120 but looks absolutely huge on the side though) as the battery life is not the best

The touch-screen can be a bit of a pain as it gets dirty so easily, I wished that they'd

24. Frenchie

Frenchie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your comments.
    Finally bought the SONY DCR-PC105, also at AJELECTRONICS.CO.UK, directly in shop, for £630, as Currys and Comet in Brentford did their best to avoid a price match...

I chose it for its superb finition, optic (same as TRV 33) and compact size (smaller than TRV 33, some say that handling of a small vertical camcorder is cumbersome).
    I find it very robust and easy to use for such a small camcorder.

25. markleman

markleman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having had mine for a bit now I am very happy with it. Most of the use is indoors and I find the low light performance a lot better than other (older) cameras I have used.

My only quibble is the size of the zoom rocker, which is stupidly small; all the reviews pointed this out so I did expect that it would not be ideal. I am looking to either make a clip on extension for it (easier) or make an add-on electronic zoom control (harder but as an electronic engineer I have done Lanc control before).

Mark Leman