Any reason not to buy a Sony NS999ESN?

KraGorn

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I've pretty much decided the Sony NS999ESN from HCH is the beast for me .. it'd be a Denon 2900 except I'm not prepared to risk the playback problems MR-ing them has .. for several reasons, one of which is Gamma adjustment at source rather than at display.

I've looked for comments on this model and there are few, does anyone know of a reason why buying this machine to feed a Z2 would be a bad idea?

Pic wise its no better than most good mid range decks. did think of getting this one but after demo thought pic was a bit average.

Should add it sounds nice with sacd

if the Z2 is HDCP compliant via dvi id say you would get a better pic from a 868i fed via hdmi to DVI.
(thats if it works with the Z2, but sure it does)

Originally posted by gandley
if the Z2 is HDCP compliant via dvi id say you would get a better pic from a 868i fed via hdmi to DVI.
(thats if it works with the Z2, but sure it does)
I'm struggling to find detailed specs for the 868 .. like does it allow picture adjustements like Gamma for example. You're right that it does work with the Z2, according to a support chart I've seen elsewhere. I've been using an HTPC with the Z2 since I got it but for various reasons want to ditch the PC, and my experience is that DVI produces a nice picture but mainly if the player scales to native .. AFAIK the 868 doesn't scale to 1280x720p, in which case DVI doesn't appear to offer much improvement over decent progressive component.

Of course, since HDMI cables seem to be rarer than hen's teeth the point may be moot.

Thanks for the comments though, I'm still dithering between the Sony and the Pioneer ... unless I can find someone to guarantee a fault-free MRed 2900 at a sensible price, ie. not the £820 at least one e-tailer wants for it .. having a 3803 a Denon player would be logical.

The only negative point I can think of with the 999ES is that, unless I'm mistaken, it's bass management (which you may well need for SACD) only offers a single crossover of 120Hz which is a little on the high side.

Matt.

Appreciate the thought, but at present I don't have a sub and don't have plans to do so .. my EVO 3s produce quite sufficient ooomph at the lower end for my needs :) .. in which case bass management isn't I think an issue for me, but I'll ponder it.

You are in luck KraGorn, hifibitz.co.uk are selling the sony ns 999 es for half the price that is £499.99. However that is not entirely good news becuase it goes to show sony guys are keen to ditch the player and replace it ,as it was not widely received.

The video playback on the sony is just average, but sacd playback is brilliant. Not to mention it looks simply gorgeous.

I'll keep my Denon 2900.

Just found these details for the 868i. it does list 1280x720
also i believe there is gamma correction and and absolute whole bunch of other menus for adjustment.

Regions 1-6 Automatic Selection

RCE Automatic Playback

HDMI T-Rex (576x 720p PAL, 480x 720p NTSC, 720x 1280p PAL/NTSC, 1080x 1920i PAL/NTSC

NTSC Progressive(525p); Pal Progressive(625p)

Pal 60 ability

That's very helpful to know, appreciate you passing it on.

BTW .. going OT, but it IS my thread ;) .. I see you have an H56, how do you find it? That was one of the DLPs I thought about at one time but I saw rainbows on an HT1000 :( .. I'm still hoping one day I'll find a DLP I can put up with and ProjectorCentral quite liked the H56.

well its a great little pj. i bought it to see if i could live with a pj and i can. the pic performence is superb. it needed to be sent away for a firmware update but now its rockin.

i do see rainbows. but very few. anyhow im due to get an S3 but the H56 has been fantastic

Originally posted by JoeKiragu
You are in luck KraGorn, hifibitz.co.uk are selling the sony ns 999 es for half the price that is £499.99.

That's a great price for Sony's flagship DVD/SACD player. Only trouble is HiFiBitz supply Region 2 only.... does anyone know if there's a code or a readilly available firmware disc to make the beast multi region?

Thanks,

Matt.

i do see rainbows. but very few. anyhow im due to get an S3 but the H56 has been fantastic
I see you mention elsewhere that its' doubler/scaler is so good that it could be fed with an interlaced signal ... which would mean my looking for an external scaler would be a waste of time ... and possibly even the 868 or Sony. :eek:

Tell me, how come you used a top-of-the-range player to feed it, or was the A11 bought in the expectation ( hope? :) ) the H65 would prove you COULD live with a pj and thus had an eye to what replaced your test machine?

well i wanted a dvd player without the chroma bug, so i thought id give the denon a go. and yes it was with a view to the future upgrade of PJ

Originally posted by JoeKiragu
The video playback on the sony is just average...

Pic wise its no better than most good mid range decks. did think of getting this one but after demo thought pic was a bit average.

Strange you both found that as the well respected "Stereophile Guide to Home Theatre" concluded:

"There's lots to like about the Sony DVP-NS999ES and very little to dislike. It offers significant new features, improved performance of several older features, outstanding video and audio performance, and a lower price. What more can you ask from a consumer-electronics company?"

Full review on performance here: http://www.guidetohometheater.com/dvdplayers/84/index1.html

Anyway, I've put my money where my mouth is and ordered one!

Matt.

yes, but iwould never buy on the merit of a magazine review.
else quite a few times i would of been very miffed.

My eyes are what count and it deed seem alittle above average.

out of interest another review of this player says just that, but i dont got time to dig it out.

its not rubbish mind so at a good price will make for a good deck,
but at its original price it wasnt worth it. cd playback isnt great either but sacd is quite awseome.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom