Any ProntoNEO owners?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by NeoBlade, Aug 15, 2002.

1. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I was just wondering if anyone actually owns one of these remotes because its been out for a while now I believe yet I've heard next to nothing about it. I'm looking for a remote with a budget of £200... The old Pronto seems to get a fair few mentions but for me there isn't enough hard buttons on the remote.

Any feedback regarding possible remotes or on the ProntoNEO itself would be welcome. Thanks in advance.

2. Tides2002

Tides2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I’ve had a Neo for about two months now. I have to say it’s been a bit love hate with it, but now it’s programmed its very much love. I went for the Neo over the Pronto because of the hard buttons and I think I was right to do so as they are definitely the most used. The main problem is with the editing softeare (Neoedit), which seems a bit under developed compared the editor that you get with the older Pronto. The other thing that is worth noting is that the Pronto and ProntoNeo only have two things in common is the Philips and Pronto names. The rest even down to the way the IR codes are stored is different, so you cannot just download Pronto files down to the Neo. However some people have written software such as Neohacker that can get around some of the problems. Best place for more info is http://www.remotecentral.com/

3. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nice one Tides. I've been to that website a fair few times but the NEO hardly gets a mention other than for its poor editing software. That itself doesn't bother me too much since I'm a regular PC user and software issues are fine unless they don't work at all. How much did you buy your NEO for? And if it was bought online... Where from? Sorry to bother you with these questions but there doesn't seem like an awful lot of support for the product itself, even though it looks the part and all of the specs are there.

If its at a good price I might snap one up soon since there are far too many remotes to use now...

4. RichardH

RichardH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  5. Tides2002

Tides2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    NeoBlade

My Neo came from http://www.letsautomate.com for £150 +p&p (very good service by the way). The other option is the Marantz RC3200, which is essentially the same as the NEO but with a different skin and around £30 more. If you do decide to go for a Neo and need some help, don’t hesitate to ask, I may be able to help.

6. bazg

bazg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Maranrtz RC3200 does have the advantage of two extra hard buttons. I have changed from a pronto to a RC3200 because I find it easier to operate systems with hard buttons than the touch screen, and although the screen is smaller on the neo/RC3200 the fact that a lot of the buttons are not now on the screen because they are physical buttons means that this is not a problem.

7. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply guys, I'm going to look into the Marantz RC3200 as well as the NEO... I think Audio Excellence has the Marantz on display so I might have a go to have a feel for the remote. Am I correct in saying that both have 1MB? And is that ample for all other remotes, macros, etc?

I'm still leaning towards the NEO as it stands but would like to know more about any software issues for both remotes. I know that the NEO can connect with a PC to download presets, icons and the like but I'm not sure if the Marantz can as well. Man I need to do my reasearch >_<

8. Tides2002

Tides2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Yes you can down load to the Marantz (I don’t know if the cable is included), and both do indeed have 1 MB Non-Volatile Flash Memory.

Is 1 MB ample? I have not heard of any one running out of room, it’s difficult to know as the files that Neoedit crates are really compressed Zip files! My Neo controls 8 devices all with several pages each, and on the face of it the file is around 40KB, but drag the file into WinZip and in fact it’s several files totalling around 500KB. I can only assume that the files are sent uncompress to the Neo.

Software issues? Mainly with Neoedit, it’s well, a bit on the crap side. It falls over from time to time (without warning and provocation) and generally behaves like a bit of late Beta testing software. This has put people off the Neo, which is a shame, and really it shouldn’t, but I would all the same expected better from a £150 remote control! Having said that Philips are continuing with the development of Neoedit and will make the new version will be available to down load. The only issue with the Neo it self is that once in a while it stops dead and needs a reboot (take one of the batteries out) but again Philips are working on an update of the firmware.

9. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I haven't heard of that prob before Tides... Bit odd for a remote to stop dead in its tracks. The software issues I can handle, after all I am a Windows user <g>

8 devices is about right for me as well, since I would want to use the remote for my IR video switchbox as well as the other components. One thing I haven't asked about is the feel of the remote... From the looks of things the Neo looks more comfortable to hold and to use, but the Marantz has the two extra hard buttons.

My mate has an E-Pilot and at a first glance it didn't seem that great to use on a daily basis. In practice it wasn't so bad using the touch screen at all. Actually he doesn't even use the remote anymore o_O

One last question then I'll decide... Does the Marantz also offer custom buttons to be uploaded to the remote a-la ProntoNEO? Since in terms of specs everything seems to be the same. Thanks for your time again guys. Last time I posted about a remote no-one answered >_<

10. Tides2002

Tides2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Yes the Marantz will allow you to down load bitmaps. The editing program (RC 3200 Setup) is effectively the same program as Neoedit, but with obviously some customisation for the extra buttons.

11. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that Tides. Now its basically down to what design I like the most and its userbility since everything else seems to be on a level playing surface. I'll just audition both remotes and see what I like best. Thanks again for the info guys ^_^

12. PJONG

PJONG
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you haven't taken the plunge yet

Latest RicherSounds ad in Oct WhatHifi

pronto neo £119.95

13. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I haven't got the latest What Hi-Fi mag yet.. At that price I'll get it ^_^ Nice one PJONG