1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any probs using secondary display for LCD projector ?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Tempest, Jan 14, 2004.

1. Tempest

Tempest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,305
    Just checking for problems before I fall into any traps:

Using a Radeon 9600 (non pro) I want to drive my PC monitor and my LCD projector.

I guess the obvious way is to use the primary display for my PC monitor and the secondary for the LCD projector.

One will be attached to the VGA port, the other to a DVI to VGA adaptor plugged into the DVI output port.

I don't know if it matters which is plugged into which socket, so my 1st question is does it matter which port is the primary one, and would there be any quality output differences between the VGA output and the DVI output with a adaptor ?

Secondly, what problems are there using the secondary display device for the LCD projector ?

I'm, sure I read some video software didn't like to run on the secodary display, is this true ? anything in particular ?

Also can I use powerstrip to set up a custom 1:1 pixel mapping display on just my secondary display leaving my primary display as normal ?

Any hints tips please

2. talizker

talizker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    You shouldn't have any problems with what you are suggesting. I use a Radeon 9700 with DVI driving my monitor @ 1280x1024 and VGA going to my projector at 960x540 [using Powerstrip]. You simply extend the desktop using Windows Display Properties and then drag the application [WinDVD, Zoom Player, WMP, Quicktime etc] into the second screen and then maximise it. Normal computer screen on monitor, DVD etc on projector :)

3. Tempest

Tempest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,305
    Ahhhhh, so you can run different res at the same time using this method then ? My mode will be something like 852x480 ish (can't remember off the top of my head) but it's a screwey mode for a monitors desktop.

When you maximise the DVD player, it only maximises to the limits of the second display then and not stretch across the whole lot ?

If you drag the dvd player's icon onto the other (low res screen) and double click it, does it still open up every time on the monitor (higher res screen)?
    There's no way to avoid this ?

Is this a better way (quality wise) than the other way of two screens? (Clone is it?)

4. Tempest

Tempest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,305
    Ahhhhh, so you can run different res at the same time using this method then ? My mode will be something like 852x480 ish (can't remember off the top of my head) but it's a screwey mode for a monitors desktop.

When you maximise the DVD player, it only maximises to the limits of the second display then and not stretch across the whole lot ?

If you drag the dvd player's icon onto the other (low res screen) and double click it, does it still open up every time on the monitor (higher res screen)?
    There's no way to avoid this ?

Is this a better way (quality wise) than the other way of two screens? (Clone is it?)

5. talizker

talizker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    When the DVD player is in the extended, smaller display and you maximise it, it only maximises to limits of that display as you would want.

Not sure about, the icon thing. I have never tried it to be honest...

6. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    I use 2 screens (monitor and PJ) using the clone option then simply use Alt+F5 to switch between them. If you set it up correctly it should automatically adjust the resolution dependant upon the output display.