Any problems viewing HD on Sharp TV with Samsung VM box?

r44flyer

Standard Member
Hello,
We were having problems with the older VirginMedia box and it was swapped out for the Samsung one. However, now, when we change the display settings on the box to HDMi, the Sharp LC-32D44E tv won't display the HD picture, giving a blank screen for the 30secs before reverting back to standard 4:3 settings.

TV displayed '720p' text during blank screen, following a restart it displayed 'auto'. Samsung HD output is 'i', but according to Sharp the tv has auto-conversion from i to p for display.

Can anyone please offer any explanation for what's going on and a possible solution?

Thank you very much
Jim

Boostrail

Distinguished Member
Firstly am a bit confused by your post?

OK new HD box

Who installed it? VM should have left you with working system!

A new box initially needs to be connected via RGB scart to the TV. In the setting menu you shoul be able then to select HDMI output with either 720p/720pWide or 1080i/1080iWide.

Your TV is a 768x1366 panel and may not be able to accept a 1080i input.

So connect and view RGB scart try HDMI 720p if it works then great. Whatever please come back and report. We may be able then to get 1080i tested on your LCD.

HTH

Last edited:

r44flyer

Standard Member
Sorry for any confusion.

I have been researching the problem and apparently it is a known conflict between some Sharp units and the Samsung box. Some people have suggested a firmware update as a resolution, however our model, LC32D44E, was the last model NOT to have a USB port for this purpose. It can be done by PCMCIA and I have contacted Sharp to query this. Otherwise it needs a board replacement by a technician, from Sharp or otherwise, which won't be cheap I'm guessing.

Virgin installed the box as a replacement, the old one worked no problem. It's not Virgin's problem in my opinion, why should it be, the TV is incompatible. The Virgin engineer is getting back to me tomorrow with any info he digs up, however.

I've been through all the settings on the box and the tv and no combination allows HD picture viewing.

Boostrail

Distinguished Member
Sorry for any confusion.

I have been researching the problem and apparently it is a known conflict between some Sharp units and the Samsung box. Some people have suggested a firmware update as a resolution, however our model, LC32D44E, was the last model NOT to have a USB port for this purpose. It can be done by PCMCIA and I have contacted Sharp to query this. Otherwise it needs a board replacement by a technician, from Sharp or otherwise, which won't be cheap I'm guessing.

Virgin installed the box as a replacement, the old one worked no problem. It's not Virgin's problem in my opinion, why should it be, the TV is incompatible. The Virgin engineer is getting back to me tomorrow with any info he digs up, however.

I've been through all the settings on the box and the tv and no combination allows HD picture viewing.

Thanks for the info update. Simplest solution to me seems to be ask for another Scientific Atlanta V+ box --- they must have innumerable numbers of these IMHO excellent boxes on the shelf. As you rent it its imaterial if its used or not as long as it looks OK.

r44flyer

Standard Member
When I say the older box worked no problem, I meant it displays HD. Aside from this, it was rubbish, to the point of being frustrating to use. Menu navigation was extremely slow, it would queue remote button presses and would often crash thus we would lose any programmes set to record during the crash.

The Samsung box is much better, but sadly we're of the few who have an incompatible tv. For all the HD we actually watch, I'd rather have a box that functions correctly 100% of the time and is a pleasure to use, than suffer a bad one for the option of occassional HD viewing. So, I'm going down the route of fixing the tv.

r44flyer

Standard Member
Well, this tv is perhaps 18 months old, and I plan on keeping it a little longer than that before spending another £300 on a new one! That's not small change to me. Even a board replacement will be much cheaper than a new tv.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom