Any Primary School Teachers Here?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by AgentCool, Sep 20, 2007.

1. AgentCool

AgentCool

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +184
    I'm seriously considering going into Primary School teaching and was wondering if anyone here had any experience in the profession? What are the best ways of getting into it (I'm thinking PGCE) and what kind of experience is needed to get onto a training course?

Any comments would be helpful.

Thanks.

2. Duncan G

Duncan G

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +758
    Riot Squad training experience will help. Six year olds can be lethel with lego.

3. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,207
    Depending on where you live I'd say don't bother. Jobs are pretty scarce in the primary sector in many parts of the country. It took my wife three years to get a F/T contract, and some of those who graduated with her are still looking for a full time, not 'fixed term', post. If you are looking to work in London or the SE then chances are you will find a place, but elsewhere......

There are a few routes now, but the best way, if you have a degree already, is to get the PGCE as you suggest. Be aware you will be tested on the only subjects that 'matter' (maths & English) as far as the govt is concerned, regardless of your current quals. QTS can be achieved through working with schools though, but again, that's not easy. There is a list of entry routes here :- http://www.tda.gov.uk/Recruit/becomingateacher/waysintoteaching.aspx

The Secondary sector is easier to find work in tbh.