1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any point in me getting an HD+

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by togad, Jun 14, 2005.

1. togad

togad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Looks like the DVDO HD+ is a very cool piece of kit, but I was wondering whether or not it would make any sense for me to get one considering what I've already got.

Display is a Pioneer 504HDE, fed by a Meridian G91.

The G91 takes Sky, TiVo, and occasionally console inputs and converts them to 720p (naturally also converts DVD's to 720p) then feeds the 504's tuner box via HDMI.

Would I get a noticeable improvement if I got an HD+ and used that to do all the switching and converting, rather than using the G91?

Also, can the HD+ drive the 504HDE in its native resolution, or would I be stuck with 720p due to the fact that it goes via the tuner box?

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    i think you are stuck at standard resolutions via media box but piers may have some black magic/Voodoo timings for 1:1 mapping, I say get a demo of an HD+ or lumagen Dvi i think they will knock spots off your G91......................
    First step will be getting the whole lot ISF calibarted can make a HUGE Difference, Gordon and piers are Lumagen dealers but know there way round a an HD+ too book an ISF £250 and get an onsite scaler demo decide if the scaler can make a big enough differece (I am 99% it will) and get it all ISF'd at the same time, this has 2 big advantages, its stops you buying a scaler and having to learn the ins and outs it also means you will be sure of the set-up this will cost a little more short term but deliver much better long term results see www.homecinemaengineering.com for more info.........