Question Any Point Buying a 4k Player

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by william149, Feb 12, 2018.

Tags:

1. william149

william149

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +37
      This post isn't meant to distract from the merits of the format or to upset anyone, but i'm genuinely interested in peoples thoughts..
      Ok, so i have a Sony 4K PJ that upscales to 4k & a processor that can give pseudo Atmos.
      As new UHD discs are around the £25.00 mark, is there any point buying a 4k player or 4k discs, or better to stick with BD?
      What benefits are to be had in buying a player if the PJ & processor can both upscale to give similar results..

2. doug56hl

doug56hl
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,702
      None, unless your processor can output 'real' atmos and you also have atmos speakers.
      And/or if your PJ can output true HDR 4K.

3. william149

william149

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +37
      My processor can do 'real' Atmos & i have Atmos speakers - what am i missing in your reply?

4. doug56hl

doug56hl
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,702
      In that case it's fairly obvious what the benefits are...
      True atmos rather than pseudo atmos.

You can buy UHDs for far less than £25 both new and 2nd hand.
      £13.50 or £15 each in a two for £30 deal and for less than £10 used on these forums.

5. william149

william149

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +37
      How is it fairly obvious (no rudeness intended), is true Atmos that much better over psuedo Atmos
      I guess what im digging at is the costs of discs over regular Blu's & is the added expense worth it in terms of audio quality?
      Has anyone done a direct AB test with both?

6. doug56hl

doug56hl
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,702
      A 7.1.4 True HD (atmos) soundtrack rather than a 5.1 DTS-HD one as with the recent UK Blade Runner 2049 UHD vs blu-ray releases should give more precise placement of the atmos sound.

Most reviews contrast/compare the UHD atmos soundtrack to the blu-ray soundtrack. In some cases both blu-ray and UHD have atmos, in many cases only the UHD will.
      Try this review as an example of the difference possible between a 5.1 soundtrack and the UHD's DTS-X one: Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince 4K Blu-ray

Whether the extra cost is worth it is up to you to decide, no one else can do it for you...

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
    7. John7

John7

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +784
      I'm holding off buying a player, purely because of all the delay/dithering over Dolby Vision support from the manufacturers. I'm not paying £650.00 for the Oppo and the only other currently (just) supporting DV is the LG and I'm not impressed by the build quality and poor reports by owners of this unit.

8. doug56hl

doug56hl
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,702
      I can follow your buying logic except for the fact that 90% of UHDs are not DV.
      Around 38 out of 380+ UHDs. You are letting your buying choices be determined by 10% or less of the available UHDs (and that 10% with DV also have HDR10 too).

9. invisiblekid

invisiblekid
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,484
      But the projector isn't DV though is it? So I don't see why your worrying about it. I dont think DV projectors are anything more than a pipe dream at the moment are they?

I dont have a PJ so I'm not the best to advise, but going off what many on here say, HDR on a PJ not really that great until a few years down the line with better eg probably laser technology. So you can potentially ignore the HDR side of UHD Blu Rays.

However depending if your projector can do this ( I assume yes if its HDR), then you could get the Oppo and have it strip the HDR but keep the wider colour gamut. That might be a decent enough increase in PQ.

You then have true Atmos. I only have upfiring Atmos from the Samsung soundbar and rear speakers and it still sounds amazing. So I can only imagine the sound you'd get from dedicated ceiling speakers. Although Auro 3D would say otherwise, but that a whole different topic.

For me, if I had a 4K PJ and ceiling speakers and an Atmos amp, I'd buy a UHD player in less than a heartbeat. I dont have any those things and STILL bought an Oppo in around a single heartbeat. I would think twice about the resolution jump, but this is without having any PJ experience. But to have a dedicated Atmos set-up and 4K PJ, I see little reason not to buy a UHD player. It doesn't have to be an Oppo, just be on the lookout for a cheap 2nd hand player on the classifieds. You'll get to play with a proper UHD resolution and Atmos to try.

10. dhts

dhts

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +296
      I went through the same debate maybe 18 months ago. I've a Sony 4k projector and like others on the forum were surprised how little benefit the resolution made when comparing the bluray with a 4k mastered disc. So I rejected the format and sold my player.

18 months later and they go and release Blade Runner 2049 on bluray with a miserable 5.1 soundtrack so I'm dipping my toe in the format again. This time round I can at least rip my purchased UHD disc and with new a media player I'm in for £150 (bluray drive for my pc and the media player).

I need to convince myself that the whole colour space conversion and HDR to SDR isn't screwing up the image, to be honest it's these variables which made me reluctant first time around. If these aren't issues then I guess I'll adopt it for movies which I think will really show of my Atmos setup.

11. scrowe

scrowe

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +859
      Ultimately a player and amp are just processing transports. The starting question is whether you have displays and speakers capable of benefitting what UHD offers.

Native 4k - Yes, your PJ Supports
      WCG - Yes, your PJ supports - circa 90%
      HDR - Sortof, PJs are never going to excel at Highlights, nor is the Sony PJ the best at Lowlights
      Atmos - Yes - but you don't mention if you have an Atmos speaker setup?

In the main you seem to have all the capabilities of getting the most from UHD so why wouldn't you? Settling for Upscaling in SDR, and Psuedo Atmos, would be a bit like eating a decent burger, instead of a proper steak, when the steak can be had for not a great deal more.

12. dhts

dhts

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +296
      I missed the op saying which Sony projector he has ???

13. scrowe

scrowe

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +859
      It says Sony 4K PJ - I thought all of them did 90% of P3?

14. dhts

dhts

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +296
      So out of my area of expertise but I think the vw300/500 generation don't support HDR nor anything other that Rec709, but I lose the plot when people start taking about tweaking the signal with Integral like boxes.

15. scrowe

scrowe

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +859
      You could be right, certainly last 2 yrs should support HDR and WCG

16. mb3195

mb3195

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,211
      Simple answer is yes, it’s worth it.

Picture quality will be slightly sharper, but you’ll probably see more of a benefit on the soundtracks if you have a full atmos setup.

I’m double dipping already.....and my projector is only faux 4K!!

17. bandyka

bandyka

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,080
      I don't get this sorry, only an AVR that is fully capable of decoding Atmos can do "pseudo Atmos" in the form of "Dolby Surround" so how is your AVR capable of it if it can't do Atmos?? UHD is more than resolution only, it's WCG and HDR that makes it look much more immersive than regular BD. What model of Sony PJ and AVR do you have?

18. sebna

sebna

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +217
      I have 4k player for over a year, about 30 UHD discs. IMHO not worth it at all. Passive 4k 3d on the other hand that is something worth getting. Sadly no longer available new for those who missed it.

Also there is new range of Panasonic players just around the corner which will support all 4k formats.

19. doug56hl

doug56hl
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,702
      See post #3.
      The OP can do 'pseudo atmos' with non atmos discs.

20. bandyka

bandyka

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,080
      Right, he should have listed his equipment, without it it's rather difficult to provide any worthwhile advice, I do love UHD on my setup and it's definitely worth it but it's highly setup dependent. Most households don't have the right equipment yet to make the best of it.