• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Any player run SACD-DVD-A?

dsldude

Standard Member
Do any of the HD/Blueray players play sacd/dvd-a

Would like to have a look at hd players, but only have
space for one player, so whatever i might get will have
to be as good as my Denon 2930 at sacd/dvd-a/dvd

is there such a beast?

Dutch

Prominent Member
I believe the new Pioneer LX90 will have SACD and DVD-A playback via iLink. :smashin: It might cost a few bob though!

Steve

dsldude

Standard Member
guess it's still early days, might see if Denon bring anything out

Owen824

Prominent Member
denon has already announced its 2 blueray players that are due out later this year. Neither have support for sacd or dvd-a. very disappointing players from first specs. think there is a page on them in the denon owners forum.

AndyH

Established Member
For me, the requirements are slightly more complex than SACD + DVD-A:

CD
SACD
DVD-A
HD-DVD
Blu-Ray
Multi-Region DVD
Plus the various rewritables of the above

*and* it has to sound good!

Owen824

Prominent Member
going to be waiting a while for that one. :rotfl:

Parmenion62

Established Member
The main reason I havent bought a stand alone HD player is that they dont play DVDA and SACD - my pioneer is on its way out and I need a replacement - it makes sense to me to get a player that will do HD and will also play my DVDA and SACD collection. Considering that it would cost £450 at least to buy two separate players I guess this is about my budget for a HD player that plays DVDA/SACD - guess I will have to hang on till one appears.

7hil

Prominent Member

CD
SACD
DVD-A
HD-DVD
Blu-Ray
Multi-Region DVD

At present chief, I think you're dreamin'. ;)

One with DIVX and x264 support would be good too though! :thumbsup:

t-force

Prominent Member
I think if any shortly forthcoming player was likely to do it, it would have been the Onkyo one, but there's been nothing about it in the confirmation. Perhaps Mark Cheffins might be able to confirm that this will not play either one of the hi-def audio only formats?

I would have thought that the chances of an HD-DVD player supporting SACD are sadly remote, as SACD has many ties to Sony.

proux

Established Member

CD
SACD
DVD-A
HD-DVD
Blu-Ray
Multi-Region DVD

... I would also add a hard disk, ability to record ordinary DVD's, and picture quality of ordinary DVD similar to current Arcam and Marantz flagships.:rolleyes:

Shouldn't hold my breath then!:rotfl:

John Dawson

Established Member
Because of the nature of the 3rd party drives used with the new generation BD and HD DVD players (they are SATA usually, or sometimes ATAPI) there is no drive support for SACD. The PS3 is different because Sony has control of the OPU directly. If the next Pioneer is different then I am happy to stand corrected but currently I know of no SOCs for HD DVD or BD currently supporting anything other than SATA/ATAPI.

So if you want both SACD and DVD-A support (and DiVX etc) then you are going have to stay with SD DVD players for a long time as far as I can see. Luckily Arcam makes several of these :D

HTH

John Dawson (Arcam)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom