Any plasma anti burn-in tips?

ianpwilliams

I'm getting a Panasonic TX-P50S30 50" plasma HDTV, and I'd like to know people's opinions on doing everything I can to prevent burn-in, and temporary image retention (although I'm not too concerned about that as long as it's temporary). I know that burn-in is a lot rarer these days, but I'm happy to be extra-cautious, certainly for the first 200 hours at least. So I looked here:

Plasma TV Burn In: Is It Still a Problem? at Plasma TV Buying Guide

And I plan to do the following for the first 200 hours:

• Avoid leaving any still images on-screen for too long (if pausing DVD's or computer games, I would just put the TV on standby anyway).
  • Keep the contrast under 50
  • Watch everything in full screen mode (no black bars)
  • Run any utilities that the TV might have, such as anti-burn settings like picture shift
  • Limit my gaming to 2 hours sessions at a time, with short breaks in between (which I know you are supposed to do anyway!)

Is there anything else I can be doing to help prevent burn-in? I heard something about DVD's you can get which "wash" the screen, which maybe I could leave playing on a loop overnight or something, during the first 200 hours? Is there an ISO I could download and convert into a DVD?

And does anyone know if the S30 has any anti burn-in features?

Last edited:

scottthehat

Distinguished Member
i have had my plasma about a week and have just done over 100 hours,
i have just been carefull and had things down lower to start with contrast at 70and the picture improvment is awsome so far and im very happy,(not had any image retention at lll touch wood)
if i watch a film i just run the scrolling bar just while its running in but after 200hrs i will just keep an eye on it.

also people run slides, if the tv has a usb thats able to play films, what i have started doing is play a film on there an set it to repeat when im out.

ianpwilliams

Yes I suppose I could just run a standard film on a DVD while I'm out, on a loop. I just thought there might be a DVD specifically designed for playing on the TV, which would be consistent across the whole picture etc.

Out of interest, what is a scrolling bar? Is it an anti-burn utility that you have?

El1te

IR scrolling bar every now and then and being careful with contrast/brightness is all that's needed for the first 200 hours mate, no need for that DVD :)

mikej

being careful with contrast/brightness is all that's needed for the first 200 hours mate, no need for that DVD :)
I agree with that. I never bothered with scrolling bars or slides, but was simply careful with settings and my GT30 has been fine. I would watch the odd movie with black bars to start with, but never more than one at a time.

Do everything in moderation and lower the brightness/contrast settings and you should be fine.

Spoonhead

Best advice I was ever given was don't turn the TV on. :D :cool:

Seriously, keep off static images, turn the contrast down, never use dynamic mode, and then enjoy.

i think we all get a bit paranoid over screen burn, but just be sensible. I've just taken delivery of a new ST30 and watched a movie with black bars within a day. No problems whatsover, and the film was over 2 hrs long.

Gazza

ianpwilliams

Yeah it does seem like the newer generations of plasmas really don't seem to have a problem with permament image-burn. I just like to be ultra-careful, especially with what is to me a very expensive piece of equipment. Can't wait to get it though. Jumping from 40" to 50" :thumbsup:

scottthehat

Distinguished Member
ian enjoy mate just use your common sense mate.
i went froma 42 to a 59 its mental.

Silverblack

With my panasonic i have side panel protection set to high and pixel orbitor set to on, so far i haven't experienced any issues. Even on my g30 i had before i didn't experience those problems either and also being sensible for the first few hours helps alot too.

ianpwilliams

If I do get temproary image-retention (maybe gaming for a couple of hours, and then a small static image remains), would there be a quick way of clearing it, like maybe running that ISO I downloaded, or something else? Or maybe turning the TV off for 15 minutes or something? Or maybe a built-in TV screen wash utility? Or is it best just to put some random TV channel on?

And if I have a mammoth gaming session (which I do occasionally have time for), and I play in 2-hour sessions, with 15-minute breaks in-between, would I be better turning the TV off for those 15 minutes, or playing that ISO, or just having a general TV channal on, or using a TV utility?

Last edited:

radium

Standard Member
the thing im worried more about than anything else is the static channel icons in top corner of the screens

as i watch a lot of sport sky sports and espn is annoying as hell for it

scottthehat

Distinguished Member
That's what worried me but i have watched lots of sky and not noticed any retention at all on my Samsung. Its only just over a week old and i watched the f1 this morn and that had like 4 different things on the screen for the hole race and no problems at all.

regluob

The scrolling bar is a built in feature that scrolls white bars across the screen. On my G30 it can be found under; Menu, Picture, Advanced Settings, Scrolling Bar.

ianpwilliams

Well, the S30 arrived today. I love it! I think the picture is so much better than the picture on the Sony TV. I haven't even had to change any settings yet either :smashin:

scottthehat

Distinguished Member
ianpwilliams said:
Well, the S30 arrived today. I love it! I think the picture is so much better than the picture on the Sony TV. I haven't even had to change any settings yet either :smashin:
Sit back and enjoy.

El1te

Good to hear, like scotthehat says, sit back and enjoy :)

I'm running the IR scroll bar on my new tv (50GT50) after every 10-12 hours of use for 5-10 minutes as a safe measure and have not seen any IR or burn whatsoever. I'm approaching 100 hours or so on my set and plasmas are most vulnerable to IR during first couple of hundred hours so I'm glad this methodology is working for me so far :)

Richard

Distinguished Member
I've always shy'd away from a plasma because of this.

I watch a lot of sky sports news and cricket in the summer.

Just worried that even if I don't watch sky sports news for hours at a time the accumulative effect will result in problems.

With the problems I'm having with recent LED models I'm seriously considering the VT50 this year.

Scooby2000

Distinguished Member

Just worried that even if I don't watch sky sports news for hours at a time the accumulative effect will result in problems.

With the problems I'm having with recent LED models I'm seriously considering the VT50 this year.
Go for it, just use the scrolling bar if worried about any build up.:)

scottthehat

Distinguished Member

my set has only just done 200 hours yesterday i had disney had on for 5 hours and not little bit of image retention, had the f1 on the other day and that had 3 different logos not a problem at all, watch alot of football and thats not a problem, whatched a few 2 hours films with black bars and thats not been a prob,
after 00 hours i noticed a big jump in picture quality and colours and brightness seemed way better but it just keeps getting better.
as said just be carefull and use the tools provided.

ianpwilliams

I also think that one of the main considerations as to whether or not to buy a plasma has to be how light you have your viewing room, because they really are very reflective. And because the blacks are so black, you often end up looking at yourself. And presumably if you start turning the contrast and brightness up to combat it, then you are possibly causing image rentention. Thankfully in my case, my room's ambient light is always low, so I can comfortably have the contrast and brightness nice and low.

ianpwilliams

No I haven't had any problems yet. I've watched the same channel or played an Xbox 360 game for no more than around 2 hours at a time though usually. I have been watching a lot of snooker lately, on the BBC red button, and that has a blue button with the word "Menu" in the top right all the time. And I notice that when I do the scroll bar every now and then for a bit (I do it every day now for 15mins or so, just during the breaking-in period), I can see a faint trace of the circle where the blue button was. But it's only faint, and that's after a good 2 or 3 hours of it being there. I've had no problems with games, although I have only been playing Skyrim, which has virtually no HUD. I started out with the TV in Normal mode, but it was pretty dark, so I switched to True Cinema mode, which is brighter by default, and looks so much better. But still no IR. So it's all good so far.

The only thing I'm not so sure about - the Pixel Orbiter can be set to either Auto or On, and I'm not sure which is best (the manual isn't too clear on it either).

Scooby2000

Distinguished Member
No I haven't had any problems yet. I've watched the same channel or played an Xbox 360 game for no more than around 2 hours at a time though usually. I have been watching a lot of snooker lately, on the BBC red button, and that has a blue button with the word "Menu" in the top right all the time. And I notice that when I do the scroll bar every now and then for a bit (I do it every day now for 15mins or so, just during the breaking-in period), I can see a faint trace of the circle where the blue button was. But it's only faint, and that's after a good 2 or 3 hours of it being there. I've had no problems with games, although I have only been playing Skyrim, which has virtually no HUD. I started out with the TV in Normal mode, but it was pretty dark, so I switched to True Cinema mode, which is brighter by default, and looks so much better. But still no IR. So it's all good so far.

The only thing I'm not so sure about - the Pixel Orbiter can be set to either Auto or On, and I'm not sure which is best (the manual isn't too clear on it either).
I think auto detects a static image, where as on means static or not it moves the screen every few mins.

Trending threads

Latest News

Denon introduces 8K ready AV Receivers as industry's first
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
CES 2021 to go ahead 'in person'
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Philips 800 Series OLED TVs come to UK in July
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 31st May 2020