Any plans now for Arcam to go HDMI/DVI

gandley

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Do Arcam have any plans yet to release a DVD player with HDMI or DVI.
the FMJ 27a is a superb dvd player and an updated version with HDMI would seem a winner on paper.(with cue sorted of course)

Please do it and then you can have my money.

any news?

announced this weekend in the AvTech forum of HiFi News magazine.

It's a £1k HDMI player that gets a superb write up from Paul Miller.

Hope that helps.

Paul

DV79 ?
cum'on tell us more more and more......

yes, and fmj must be following

it is going to be great budget solution, DV79 + visionDVI for hi quality HT
hope there will be enough processors (and soon) to pair it with

Is there any chance the DV27A will be upgradable as I'm about to place an order for a Lumagen VisionProHDP. The only option now is to get the SDI mod.

Have to admit not to keen on the DV line up. If i buy arcam it has to be the FMJ unit, which in the case of the 27a was a far superior player.

Still got a beady eye on that assimilator thingy at Convergent, will that ever come out Gordan?

The article states that none of the other Arcam DVD players will be upgradeable as the boards are so different. Sorry!

It looked from the pics like a decent, well made player though.

Paul

Gordon could take photos if he's allowed :)

I beliee it is not due for public release for a couple more weeks. I can't take pics sorry. I can say that regardless of what happens with FMJ (and I do not know what is going to happen. if anything) SDI out is still best solution for digital interface to a scaler.

Assimilator is supposed to come out. I suspect that no-one is going to see one until September. I guess that the new Lumagens have really put the cat amongst the pigeons! Which is of course what tends to happen when they get out of the bag....hahaha...;)

Gordon

This is an exclusive review in the printed magazine "AVTech" bundled with the May issue of Hi Fi News - so there are no links and it would be a serious breach of the magazine's copyright for anyone to scan it etc.

Whilst some copies seem to have gone out early to subscribers I understand it is formally scheduled to be in the shops on the 2nd April or thereabouts. If you wish to read it please buy it!!

John Dawson (Arcam)

cheers guys !!!
(with all my respect for Mr.Dawson) look and learn how one serious HiFi brand deals with magazines.
And good reviews will come then automatically (IMHO Arcam products do deserve best reviews)...

great these Forums, one can learn many things here :)

SDI out is still best solution for digital interface to a scaler.

Is that due to no CP or is there more to it?

Thanks Gordon :thumbsup:

gazza,
in simple words there is signal manipulation (or lets say conversion) in order to get HDMI , none for SDI

One friend of mine has Panny SDI - LumagenProSDI combo and I must say picture is grand slam for that money! (Unfortunately audio is far from the best)

one idea!
X3ELS should take that piece and SDI mod it!
That way we'd know what's better :)

Cheers Plump

I'm happy with that as long as X3ELS doesn't stop doing the mod before I get the Lumagen.

Don't give him ideas.

Actually I hope that the new Lumagens will be able to take 480i and 576i from HDMI of a player like the DV79 and process them. Once hardware from both companies is available to test this we can do comparison of same disc on the DV79 and on an SDI 27a or such like. It should be relatively simple to sync both units and just switch inputs on Lumagen HDP/Pro to see whether there is a significant difference (with Arcam's implimentation...remember not all HDMI will be the same just as not all SDI is the same)

Gordon

Gordan

is the immersive morpheus dvd player gonna come out in the same time line as the assimulator?

also with HDMI/DVI is the difference in pic going to be quite similar across models/makes due to the fact that digital is digital(I and O`s and all that) etc within comparable price brackets?

Digital is digital..ie 1 ands 0's is not something I subscribe to sorry.

HDMI: First off the mpeg decoder used is going to play a pretty significant part in final image quality. Then there is how the signal is dealt with as it goes through the coourspace conversions. Then there is the quality of the de-interlcaing solutions (if you are using them) followed by the scaling chipsets(if you are using them). I suspect that there will be some obvious differences and that cheap products may work and more epxensives ones may have flaws and vice versa.

I have had no indication as to when Morpheus will ship.

Cheers,

Gordon

does the DV79 support 1280x720? at the moment on the limited info i cant see this mentioned. Also why no i-link, i know analoge would be better but its nice at this price to have the choice.

Has the CUE now been sorted John Dawson?

At least until I see the DV79 and how Arcam implements HDMI, I'm unconvinced about the benefit of DVi/HDMI interconnects

I used the DVI output from a Samsung TS160 STB for 720p output to my Samsung DLP for nearly a year before I tried using a good quality component cable instead. I discovered the component cable gave me better picture quality. The biggest difference was on standard definition material, but there was improvement with HD as well.

I see plenty of dicussion where people assume the Samsung and Bravo upconverting DVD players have to be superior just because they have digital output. I can only stand back and grin as I watch the spendid analog video from my DV88 Plus.

For now I'll assume that if Arcam is doing HDMI then it's because they're doing it right, and it will provide real benefit. I look forward to seeing the results, and hope there's an upgrade path if it really provides a worrhwhile improvement.

Dean

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom