1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any Pioneer XDE owners out there?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by TheDoctor, Aug 24, 2005.

1. TheDoctor

TheDoctor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    Hello

My 505XDE is on its way to me. I will only be using the HDMI and component inputs. What should the initial display settings be (e.g. contrast, brightness etc)?

I also plan to have the display ISF calibrated after about 100 hours.

Thanks in advance.

2. mikeoxsmall

mikeoxsmall
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    u should have waited untill christmas true high def that can replay 1250 lines will be out then, send it back and wait

3. TheDoctor

TheDoctor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    I am aware of the future 50" displays but I was working towards a budget. I did my research, read the forums, saw many 50" demos and got a good deal, so it I chose the 505XDE (It was an ISF calibrated set up which done it for me).

Brand new boxed, speakers, stand, 4 years at-home warranty, £130 of HDMI & component cables + delivery = £3500.

4. Drd

Drd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +246
    That was helpful!

TheDoctor,
    I ran mine with everything turned right down for 100 hours.I left it on all day long with no logos on screen to rack up the hours (some people suggest leaving it in the box for the first 100 hours :D ).Then I ran DVE to set it up.I was so pleased with the results (this was back in Feb.) that I haven't had it ISF'd,and I still think it looks as good as anything else I've seen.Good luck and enjoy.
    Regards
    Ian

5. ikon66

ikon66

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    You are right, I get really peed off with people with people jumpin into threads and giving their opinions that have nothin to do with the original post.

Drd - I have set up my xde without calibration and am totally happy with the quality

6. TheDoctor

TheDoctor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    Thanks for your replies Drd & Ikon. Whats the best connection for a SKY digibox - rgb scart or component (using a JST converter). I've been told that constrast should be set to <25.

7. ikon66

ikon66

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    keep the settings low for the first 100 hours or so contrast under 25 especially

don't think the converter will do much better as it's only converting the rgb i've got good rgb and the pic is v good, much better than others on the forum lead you to believe

8. mikeoxsmall

mikeoxsmall
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    u should have waited and been patient, talking to a fella in japan the other day. and he said wait true high def plasmas are just round the corner.
    3.5 grand down the drain if u ask me, when true high def arrives it will deliver 1250 lines and today's set's are not up to the job

9. owain_thomas

owain_thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    well, no-one did. any way 1080p plasmas (I presume that's what you're referring to when you say 1250 lines?) are going to cost a bit more than £3500 when they come out and that won't be for another few months/a year. why not get a good 50" one now, then wait for the new 1080p ones to come down in price? You'll probably spend the same overall. got to be better than sitting squinting at a 14"crt for the next few months and then paying a massive early-adopter fee?

10. Alan A

Alan A
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    and what source is available or going to be available in the next few years to use this true hi def???

11. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Yes, just a couple of footy matches and a small selection of X-box 360 games. The price premium is likely to be very high, nobody has dared mention a price to me for a 1080 plasma yet!

12. Alan A

Alan A
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yes, it would be like buying an electric car and having nowhere close to recharge it

13. bishman

bishman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    Xbox 360, PS3, HD-DVD and Blu-Ray. Current DVD's can be upscaled with the right player/equipment, (not real HD I know, but an improvement that's made possible). HD isn't limited to Sky.

14. bishman

bishman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    Although having said that, I don't think he made a mistake buying this screen as it still accepts all the relevant signals for HD and gives a great picture, so what's the problem?

15. TheDoctor

TheDoctor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    I totally agree with you guys. I can see at least a £7000 price tag for a 50" 1080p plasma and not much to make use of it.

At least the 505XDE is capable of 720p and 1080i, and I am sure that even these capabilities will not be fully utilised for another couple of years. It's ready for SKY HD and HD DVD, which is what I wanted.

With technology, if you keep waiting for the next best thing, then you won't end up buying anything.

Doc