1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any Pioneer owner tried the THX video test?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Triggaaar, Aug 2, 2004.

1. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,022
    Just received my plasma, and while the free THX video test that comes with some DVDs is not going to match the AVIA or DVE disks, I thought it was a start.

One of the tests it uses is a displaying a THX logo, with 10 shades of black above and below it. You are supposed to adjust the brightness such that you can see 7 of the 10 shades. Even at max brightness, I can only see 5/just 6 of the 10 shades.

How have others done with the test, and is there any other particular setting you adjusted to improve the black detail?

Thanks

2. Apnomis

Apnomis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    It is something to do with image clipping, the DVE disc goes into detail about it as on their similar test there are 3 shades of black where you have to match the background to the darkest one while the other 2 remain visible. It says if the 3rd line is clipped and you only see 2 then just set the brightness to the point where the darkest of the available lines is barely visible, maybe the same applies with your test...

What connection are you using on the DVD? When I was configuring my Panasonic I experienced this clipping of black levels when using the Scart connection, but not when using the component connection. Although when I did the test on a Sony CRT via Scart it was not clipped, so I guess it depends on the manufacturer, or possibily cable quality?

Eitherway if you have the option I would connect via component cable as it gives much better image quality...

3. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,022
    Thanks

Currently using S-Video until my SDI Lumagen arrives (cable is average quality). Rest of the picture from DVD looks surprisingly good, given the connection and that it's straight out of the box with no calibration.

4. PjPip

PjPip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Late addition I know, but thought it worth adding that I've just changed my aged Sony 335 for a Pioneer to use the prog scan with the PJ. I can't get the "below black" bar to display with any of the outputs from the Pioneer whereas the Sony was fine.

5. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,022
    Since you've brought this thread back, I'll give you an update.

Arcam DV89 to Pio 50MXE1 via S-vid or Component cable, using THX or DVE: Not able to display varying levels of black at the end of the allowable spectrum.

Arcam DV89 to Pio 50MXE1 via Lumagen HDP (DVD SDI out, Lumagen DVI cable), using THX or DVE: All levels of black visable (inc those below the DVD std) even at low brightness settings.

Conclusion
    The levels of black using DV89 and S-Video or Component cable, are IMO unacceptable when used with the Pioneer. This probably warrents further discussion elsewhere, and I'm sure Arcam would like to comment.

6. John Dawson

John Dawson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    The Arcam DV89 passes below black, so the problem must lie elsewhere.

John Dawson (Arcam)

7. SimonO

SimonO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
  8. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,022
    Thanks guys. Reading the other thread, that makes sense. Without seeing other poeples findings, couldn't tell if it was the arcam S-video/component out, or the Pioneer input board that was responsible, as the Arcam with SDI out clearly worked. Will actually go and try s-video out of the Arcam into the Lumagen, and DVI into the Pioneer.

9. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,802
    It's a Pioneer issue. I know folk who've tried Linn Classik movie's in to that board as well with same result. Use an external scaler and you're sorted (looks much better and no black crush problems when set up properly)

Gordon

10. SimonO

SimonO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    What about those with a Lumagen and a PJ on their Christamas list that had intended to run the Pioneer from the analogue output and the PJ from the DVI.!? :mad:

11. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,802
    Simon,

The VGA input works fine with the Lumagen. It's the optional input terminal board that's terminal. I've done an HDP Pro to a 50Mxe01 and it was cool through the HD15.

Gordon

12. Mantorok

Mantorok

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just thought I'd give you an update on my findings with my black level problems (I started that other thread)

I recently bought a Momitsu V880N which has both DVI and Component outputs. When I feed the MXE1 a DVI input (INPUT2) it will happily show 4% below black. When I feed the MXE1 a component input (INPUT1 or INPUT5) it won't show 4% below black (it won't even show 2% above black).

Needless to say I use the DVI input to watch DVDs.

I talked to Pioneer (in Australia) and they said that is normal. They also said there is no way to calibrate a plasma at present (DVE is no use)...something to do with the limited black levels they have. This is weird as I did use it to calibrate the DVI input with it.

13. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,802
    No way to calibrate a plasma.....so how exactly do they set them up at the factory, throw some bones in the air?

Gordon

14. JetJockey

JetJockey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Triggaaar

Just how well does your scaler work, ie: how much difference do you see in the picture.

Gordon, you mention the Lumagen and VGA. I have a Panny PWD5 which has a VGA input. I am contemplating an RGB to VGA converter for my Sky box. Will the Lumagen accomodate this, and if so which model, or should I look at another converter solution, maybe RGB to Comp.

Thanks, Gerald. :)

15. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,802
    The Lumagen will accept an RGBcvS signal so there is no requirement for a convertor. I have not tried one with an RGBtoVGA adaptor in and would have to check if it will work.

Gordon

16. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,022
    Exactly the same for me.
    What? So when you adjust brightness, contrast and colour, what are you doing? Maybe some wires got crossed there, or the cleaner picked up the phone.
    There are still a couple of glitches with my Lumagen. Gordon has calibrated my scaler and plasma, and the picture quality is excellent. But I haven't specifically done back to back testing of SDI scaler vs direct component. I'll make a note to do that and let you know how much better it is with SDI and scaler.

17. SimonO

SimonO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Thanks Gordon but at the moment I use the VGA input for my Roku HD1000 and also a laptop... But if Pioneer (Australia) say it's normal then it must be... :suicide: :mad: &*$%

18. probeski

probeski
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is anyone absolutely sure that the BNC PDA-5003 input terminal board will not suffer on blacks (using RGBHV) like the component YUV PDA-5004 does?
    I noticed in the manual that 4:3 via D-sub at 1280 X 720 is listed as not available (aspect ratio lock?), if i run a HDSTB (Australia) via D-sub what will happen to 4:3 material; will i need to use the PDA-5003?
    Does anyone recommend using the PDA-5003 over the D-Sub for better quality connections, even if I will only need short cable runs?

19. probeski

probeski
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  20. SimonO

SimonO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    1. RGBHV is okay, It's YUV that's messed up... 2. Not sure... 3. BNC is technically a better connection and you need to buy a board to get the video resolutions if you need them, probably very little difference in PQ...