Any Pioneer 747A owners out there

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by rigman, Dec 14, 2002.

1. rigman

rigman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    I am currently in dispute with someone regarding a piece of kit I sold. Whe I sold it the item was working perfectly. The guy is claiming it will not accept a digital signal.

He has a Pioneer 747A DVD which has only been used in analogue before. My question is "What do you need to do if anything, to enable a digital signal out of the Pioneer. Is there anything in the menu that needs to be changed or will it just output a signal from the Optical and coaxial anyway?

I have looked for a manual on the net but cannot find it anywhere.

He originally claimed that the item did not work with analogue and phoned the manufacturer for help who took him through a setup and got it working with his CD and he then phoned to apologise. We are now having the same grief off him on the digital side.

cheers
    Darren

2. alex f

alex f
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I've got one but I'm not sure what you want me to check?

3. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is he trying to play SACD or DVD-A throught the digital output? If so he will get no sound as this can only be output via analogue on 95% of players up to now. SPDIF is not licensed to carry the encrypted signals. Either that or he has probably not got his amp set up right.

I pressed something on the remote on mine the other day and it took me ages to realise I had set the DVD input to optical instead of coax. Probably something simple like that.

Steve

4. rigman

rigman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Guys

no just a normal DD DTS signal out of the coaxial or optical port.
    He has been using it on analogue stereo until now. Does he need to go into the menu and turn bitstream to on or something like that?

thanks
    Darren

5. Sgt.Colon

Sgt.Colon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not sure if this helps, but I have a Pioneer DV545 and on that I had to enable Digital out under the setup menu in the Audio section. :)

6. mohtfan

mohtfan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have the dv8300 from marantz. her you also have to enable the digital out, as this is basically a tweaked 747, this may be the problem as Sgt.Colon pointed out

7. gmt steve

gmt steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    rigman, I have a 747a. He needs to RTFM, but since he obviously can't or won't then here's what to do. Go into the setup menu, select audio, select digital out, set it to bitstream, turn on dts if required. Thats it. If the digital output is turned off, there's a small LED on the front/left of the player telling you so.

8. rigman

rigman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Thanks guys

gmt Steve thats exactly what I was looking for. I mentioned bitstream to him on the phone and he said when he looked there was no mention of bitstream. He said he had turned dts on. I will phone him and see what digital out is set to.

Darren

9. rigman

rigman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Just spoke to the guy who said it was not switched to bitstream. He was talking about 44khz pcm. He is very difficult to talk to as he is a foreign gentleman with quite a thick accent.

Unfortunately he has sent the unit back to the UK distributor to get it checked out :mad::rolleyes: :mad:

Hence he now cannot try it.

Hopefully he will contact them and they will now tell him it works fine with their kit.

Darren

Steve you are right he should RTFM

10. rigman

rigman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Quick update and the end of this saga. Lexicon found no problem with the unit and have sent it back to him. He had the digital output switched wrong in his setup all along

Darren