1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any Philips TV Engineers/Experts?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by nrmsmith, May 17, 2004.

1. nrmsmith

nrmsmith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Our ageing Philips 32" CRT TV has gone belly-up tonight.

It appears to be in stand-by mode (red light lit up on front panel).

When we press a programme key to wake up the TV and display a channel (say BBC-1), the light turns green for a few seconds. Normally at this point the TV picture and sound would appear. Now, instead, the stand-by light returns, but flashes about twice a second.

Clearly an error condition - but what?

I have looked through the manual without success, there doesn't appear to be a trouble-shooting section :(

Can anyone help ? What does the error mean? Is it possible to "hard reset" the TV ? Is it buggered ??

Thanks in advance.....

Nigel

2. nypdblue

nypdblue
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi, I had basically the same problem with my Philips 32" Cool Blue Designer TV and today it was inspected and requires a new Colour Tube at £492. It's 3 1/2 years old and cost £1,500 pretty miffed to say the least, to my amazement the present tube in the tv is produced by Panasonic ? Anyway obviously this is a worst case scenario and you could have a dry solider joint, I got two repair quotes from recommended repairers and they both confirmed the same, I'd say do likewise most reputable repairers offer a free repair inspection.

Good luck. :smashin:

3. Square eyes

Square eyes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got my 32 inch 6517 Phillips deliverd yesterday and its a lovely picture although i did notcice the flashing during the Tescos advert

watched atatck of the clones on it and thought the colours very good and did not notice anything else untoward

I suppose im not pedantic enough(or should that be a pedant) for spotting anything else :)

Ive read enough on here to know most 32 inch plus tvs have some faults but there still a better picture than plasma or lcd's

4. Wayne Moule

Wayne Moule

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I think that the flashing of white areas is the worst you'll see from this tv.

You can stop it by turning down the contrast, which I have on mine, which is a similar spec.

Excellent pic otherwise, detailed, colourful and sharp. The sound aint bad either.

:)