1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any PAL/refresh issues on Z2 or TX100?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by joffonon, Aug 12, 2004.

1. joffonon

joffonon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    On my current budget, I'm looking at getting either the Sanyo Z2 or the Hitachi TX100 as my first projector. Do either of these have any issues with 50Hz (i.e. PAL) sources, such as forcing output to 60Hz? Also, would either of these benefit from (or, indeed, be able to show) alternate refresh rates, such as 48Hz or 72Hz for HCPC or scaler output?

Thanks,

Jonathan

2. Dr_Mike

Dr_Mike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    IIRC, the Sanyo has some problems with accepting a 50Hz input over it's DVI input. This certainly applies to 720p resolution (the panels native), not sure about 576p etc. I think it's OK over the component connections. If you do a search on 'Sanyo 50Hz' (shame that 'Z2' is too short a word for the search) or something like that on this forum you'll find plenty of stuff.

As far as I know there are no such problems with the Hitachi. I asked the question on avs and a couple of users from Germany said they were running their TX100s at 720p @ 50Hz over DVI and weren't seeing any judder.

According to the manufactures specs the TX100 will refresh at anywhere between 50Hz and 120Hz. 48Hz or 72Hz would only be useful for NTSC source material. For PAL sources you need 50, 75 or 100, although I'm not sure that 75 or 100 would have any advantage over 50.