1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any own JVC HV-28D40 ?

Discussion in 'TVs' started by pingu, May 10, 2005.

1. pingu

pingu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Hi all,

I'm considering moving to a projector for movie / sports viewing and that mean that my trusty Panny TX36PL30 will have to go as it is too big to fit in the corner and will block a proj. screen where it is. Therefore I'm looking for a 28" iDTV set to go in the corner for normal everyday viewing of Sky.

On the features count the JVC HV28D40 ticks all the boxes, component input (+ prog scan), 2 RGB scarts, dig tuner, etc.

Do any owners out there have any negatives for this set?
    What is the EPG like for the digital tuner? Is it a 7 day job comparable to Sky's?

Many Thanks,
    Steve.

2. sambobo

sambobo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    as with all jvc dist sets, the scarts will not work in rgb mode if you are usiing 60hz/ntsc equipment with them (that goes for games consoles) and there are issues with both pal and ntsc progscan. having said that its the one of the very few component/progscan 28" tvs out there and i doubt you'll find a better deal, just be wary of the problems

3. anna the dub

anna the dub

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12

Hi

I have the 32 inch version and I have to say that I am very happy with it. You asked about the EPG on the digi tuner? Well, unfortunately it is only a now and next but this, to me, is only a minor quibble. I live in hope of a firmware update, but no sigh of one yet. I have sky anyway, so only use the digital tuner when i am recording something off sky. I had a long search around before buying this telly and don't regret it at all.

4. pingu

pingu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Thanks, useful info.

5. Mr_Fantastic

Mr_Fantastic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    What are the problems with Pal & Ntsc Progressive Scan? I am still considering this set, but now the 32" version rather than the 28" that I was going to get :clap: I still have not seen one in person as they are very difficult to find (if anyone knows of stores that stock them I would be interested in hearing which ones).
    I saw the Toshiba 32ZP48 and was not impressed, the Panasonic 32PD50 is difficult to find and the spec is not that good in my opinion and this is another I have not seen. So finding a set that looks good (preferably dark), has some enhanced resolution particularly the vertical res as I don't like scanlines and has progressive scan and at least 2 RGB scarts. Quite difficult to find.

6. pingu

pingu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Mr F, John Lewis had the 28" version I saw.

7. martin10

martin10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Can anyone give me their view on the above JVC television. I need to use it for Sky + and a DVD player. I had a 100hz television before and the Sky + box I had in 2001 produced a very bad picture. Both Sky and JVC stated that the Sky + boxes would only work on 50hz televisions.

I am thinking of buying the JVC 32D40 or any 36 inch CRT widscreen.

Thanks
    Martin

8. sambobo

sambobo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    well i have a pioneer 575 hooked up to mine, and progscan mode hardly makes a difference, although ive heared that with some other players its more noticable. with ntsc playback you sometimes get a horizontal line that will scroll down the screen with certain dvds/ntsc sources. there is a fix to this however but it is abit longwinded and you can mess up your tv. the lack of rgb60hz on the scarts is a real pain though.

9. Mr_Fantastic

Mr_Fantastic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    Thanks, unfortunately JL in Birmingham closed down so I would probably have to go to Solihull.

I was considering getting a 575 but didn't like the sound of the problems with them, particularly with this TV so I will probably get a Targa to use with it. I don't think I would have a use for 60Hz unless this affects playback of NTSC DVD's. Can anyone confirm this? The horizontal line could be a problem.
    It seems that finding the perfect TV is practically impossible :(

10. sambobo

sambobo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    yes this affects ntsc dvds, you will have to watch them through component not scart. i have only noticed the line thing with a couple of ntsc dvds in progscan so its not too much of a problem

11. markmitt

markmitt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Well, if it wasn't for the above problems, it would be a very good, well priced CRT. I have had one since March, and it has been in for new m/b due to the prog scan problems (tearing, is it?), and even with the new board, the problem persists. JVC reckon there is an engineers "hack" that will sort this when I spoke to them, but I cannot believe they expected me to be able to do this!

First off, I may be a qualified IT technician, but I have no knowledge of TV's. Second, if I had of attemtped this, and buggered the TV as a result, the TV would be void of its warranty. I think that when the TV goes to the engineer tomorrow, and if the fix doesn't fix, then a new model will be in order I think.

Shame really, because otherwise the TV is excellent with great features. But with the problems that this particular range seems to have, I would have to say avoid.

12. MontgomeryScott

MontgomeryScott

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have recently bought a 28D40 and initially I have been fairly happy with the performance. I use it with a Tosh SD241 DVD, using component prog scan, and old AKAI VHS and fairly up to date Telewest DVB4200 Explorer STB both using RGB SCART. I've found the DVD playback to be excellent, rock solid picture with good colour reproduction and black level response and no digital gremlins. As you will have probably read from the magazine reviews picture quality from other sources can be a bit if a mixed bag. :lesson:

I've found that most Telewest channels are fine, though you do need to fiddle with the DigiPure and Noise reduction settings on a channel by channel basis to get the best results, as some channels are more heavily compressed than others and can suffer from looking 'over processed' if you have all the gizmos turned on, but you can always find a good setting. I watched ROME on BBC2 the other night and the picture quality and richness of colour rendition in particular was very impressive. :smashin:

With the internal digi tuner the high compression on most digital terrestrial broadcasts in the UK is fairly frequently obvious, without the smoothing effects of a good old analog CRT. It's OK, but it's ofter hard to find a setting which doesn't look either too soft or over processed. :thumbsdow

I haven't seen any problems with sports programs, I watched some of the Rangers - Celtic match the other night, before turning over to Rome 'cause it was dull, and had no complaints at all. :smashin:

Having said all that it has not been all sweetness and light. :rolleyes: The set is being replaced, as after it's been on for a while there is a problem with picture stability, in a ye olde televisualisator you would have described it as the horizontal hold being off, and eventually becomes unwatchable with the whole image shimmering and the PIP dispaly being unreadable due to distortion. Fortunately the good folks at Amazon didn't put up a struggle and it's being replaced.

I summary I would rate this set above the majority of LCD sets in terms of picture quality. LCD still can't compete on black level response, colour depth and luminosity .... I'm just after firing some HD material at the new set when it arrives to see how it does...

Cheers,
    Monty
    ------------------------
    Drop to Impulse and raise shields

13. per-Sony-fied

per-Sony-fied

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100

The Panasonic is well spec'd and probably a front runner in this respect.
    It has 4 scarts, 2 of which are RGB enabled. there is 1 Component i/p. Uses the latest SR2 tube. Progressive scan capable and 833i/75Hz line rate. Although you'd be very hard pushed to see a difference.
    There's also PIP and P&P multi-window. Sound is also very listenable and clear but lacking behind the punchy, rich and sweet Tosh set.

However I still believe that most of these sets suffer from faint line flicker at sporadic times.

I've not seen a PD50 in a store for months now but have seen the forerunner the PD30 in a few Miller Bros stores and the odd Currys which gives a very similiar performance. Some Hughes TV stores may have one to google at but I don't think there are any near Birmingham. Available in one or two places on the net tho'.