1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any opinions on the Sony universal remote?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by simonrossi, Oct 16, 2001.

1. simonrossi

simonrossi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,
    as part of my upgrade from pro logic to 5.1 i am looking for a new universal remote.
    I was considering the sony 2000 i think its called, but I've seen no reference to it in this forum.Does anyone have any experience with this remote, or know if its supposed to be better or worse than the pronto?

Thanks to all who reply!

Luv

Simon

2. Fartpants

Fartpants

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The pronto is far better, the sony has defined graphics and buttons, so you are limited by what is on there. Yes you can customize it a bit but nowhere like the pronto. It only has 3 macros and is far bigger. Even though I have a sony Amp I can only control a subset of the features with this monster.

With the pronto it is easier to put on exactly what you want, all or just some, you can put the labels on, and do the macros, for example I have some things that require them, such as changing region, or the remote control scart and optical selecters.

3. UlricVonLichtenstien

UlricVonLichtenstien

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I used to have this remote - the AV2000T, I believe. It's very limited, and as fartpants says, is a bit of a beast when compared with a svelte pronto. It's also a Pig :eek: to program. That's why I sold mine and got the pronto - much easier to use and programing via your PC.

4. simon1

simon1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Is a LCD remote really what you want?

I tried the sony a while ago and like others have said - it cant be customised to much of a degree. Having said that, for £60 (Richer Sounds), it is good value.

Also tried the pronto. It is a fantastic piece of kit, but........... although there seems no end to the ways it can be customised, it is still an LCD remote.

I was amazed at first how clever the unit was. After one week of solid programming/button layout/logo design, I realised it had started taking over my live.

Once the 'novelty' value had worn off, I began to see the flaws. The first prob is you always have to look at the remote before pressing the imaginery button, secondly, remote rarely responds on first attempt because you pressed too lightly or missed it slightly. Overall, I found using the remote was a chore.

I bought from 'Letsautomate' where I was able to obtain a refund within 14 days, which was just as well.

I have been searching for the last 6 months for the perfect remote, and have discovered a real gem. Read my other post 'Philips RU880'

5. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I haven't found this at all.

You know the positioning of the buttons as you put them there. It may take a month or two to remember them but i can do mine with my eyes closed, providing i am on the right page.

Also, i have no problems with the buttons. It always responds on the first touch. I did have a couple of poorly learned buttons which did not respond well. I just re-learned them and it was fine.

My downers would be the size of the screen. A little bigger would be nicer or have tactile buttons for a direction pad.

A believe the new models (Marrantz version) has this and may be a better choice.