any opinions on the sony a200k for a beginner?

hulkhogan

i've been thinking of upgrading to a dslr for some time now for scenic shoots etc

and now i've got a trip set in mid-feb going over to kashmir and i want to get one of them

what i've cast my eye on at the moment is the Sony a200k for £240 (well 210 with cashback)

Sony DSLR-A200K Digital SLR Camera + Zoom Lens Kit: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

is this a recommended camera to start off with and will the lens be adequate for shooting scenery etc? my budget is around the £200 mark

any advice is welcome

many thanks

mani

Last edited by a moderator:

Dave

Distinguished Member
Hi mani, yes the a200 is an excellent camera and at the wide end the kit lens that comes with it is pretty good too.

There are other options out there but the a200 is a pretty good bet.

chrism_scotland

I've just bought an A300 as my first DSLR, its the A200 but with liveview and I would highly reccomend a Sony, very impressed with it.

hulkhogan

what about the nikon d40?

is there much difference between the two? i've heard a few mates harp on about that one..

Munchkinn

They are both good cameras and excellent value for money. I would recommend trying both in a shop before deciding. I use a D40 and am more than happy with it. :smashin:

leaky5

They are both good cameras and excellent value for money. I would recommend trying both in a shop before deciding. I use a D40 and am more than happy with it. :smashin:

I agree, both are perfect beginners cameras. My a200 has allowed me to get back into SLR type photography at a price I could afford. The last SLR I used was fully manual, for using manual on the a200 is quite normal for me and I tend to use it most of the time.

On my Flickr there are 2 sets which used the kit lens. The Duxford set was the day after I picked up the camera and I used it on Auto all day and only changed the ISO occasionaly.
The Motor show set were a couple of months later, mostly on manual.

And yes do try some in a shop, I was convince I was going to buy an Olympus E510 before I tried one. I did also try a 400D, D40 & D40X, but personnaly preferred the a200 controls and button layout.

Matt

I've just ordered the A200 from amazon after reading many many reviews and ther is not much in it between it and the D40. But it has a couple of featres that the nikon didnt have. But for me it just felt better in my hand. I went to PC world nad had a play with them both. Either would be great for you really.

dazza74

Distinguished Member
what about the nikon d40?

is there much difference between the two? i've heard a few mates harp on about that one..

With the Sony you get 10 megapixels as opposed to 6 megapixels with the D40, image stabilisation built into the camera with the sony whereas with the D40 and all Nikon's for that matter you have to buy lenses that have this built in. I'm a Nikon man but pound for pound the D40 just doesn't compete with the Sony A200.

Buying Nikon or Canon will always give you more lens options but Sony have a good collection available. At this price level I'd go with the camera you like most and not worry to much about buying additional lenses etc you've invested a small amount so can easily change systems without to much money lost.

lovelldr

All the above is good advice.

I have a Canon 1000d (another one for you to look in to if you're wanting ;)), but there isn't too much difference between all of them. The sony is that little bit cheaper, but then again, there's different benefits for all. E.g. the 1000d has live view (albeit only really useful for macro photos, and I'm not talking about the a300 either, as op said the a200), the sony has IS built into body, and nikon has (not that I can really remember any off top of head) a few different options you might like.

Best advice would be to go to somewhere like jessops, have a play with the cameras (i.e. 1000d, a200 and d40/d60) and see which feels right in your hands. Come back, have a look at the different photos taken with each, and then decide which one you felt better by feel and has the features you want...

chrism_scotland

I'd agree play with the cameras your looking at, before I did I was going to buy the Olympus e-410 but actually found it very hard to hold as it has no grip, the Sony Alpha felt nice in the hand and easy to hold.

hulkhogan

yeah i popped into a local comet and i did notice the grip thing myself

i have chunky hands the other camera's such as the nikon didnt sit too well because of that grip thing. it was a short play around and i'm gonna pop into a pc world and get a better feel for them

or hopefully a jessops if i can get to one.

furryman

Standard Member
Buying Nikon or Canon will always give you more lens options but Sony have a good collection available. At this price level I'd go with the camera you like most and not worry to much about buying additional lenses etc you've invested a small amount so can easily change systems without to much money lost.

Hi, just to say that the Sony A200 is based on a Minolta SLR and as such any lens that will fit a Minolta will fit the Sony too, Bonus!

too_funky

If your a complete beginner to SLR's then the newly annouced, but not due for release until next month (although that might need double checking) Sony entry level range might be worth a punt. They have very similar specs to A200/300 but have a radical new user interface. Eg, built in user guide, graphical menus/settings options that explain how changing it will effect you picture etc.

Sony Digital SLR camera : Sony

They seem to be designed to teach people the basic principals of SLR photography. As they're not out yet i dont know how good they will be at it and its ultimately a marketing technique targetted at people in your stituation in a bid to make Sony SLR's more mainstream (as opposed to Canon/Nikon). My advice would be to hang around for the reviews to come out, even if you dont like the look of the new range it may at least drive the price of the old A200/300 down even lower despite them being already extremely good quality/value for money.

formula400

mate my Sony A200 was and is my 1st DSLR, its great, i love it and it takes some wicked shots.

just go and hold one.

Jonstone

Welcome to the forums furryman, however given that this thread is 5 months old I think paddylogan may well have already made his decision on what camera to buy.

too_funky

Welcome to the forums furryman, however given that this thread is 5 months old I think paddylogan may well have already made his decision on what camera to buy.

Haha i just noticed, saw it had bumped to top of thread list so assumed it was new.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom