1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any opinions on the Hitachi AX-M68D?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Kiwi2, Jul 19, 2005.

1. Kiwi2

Kiwi2
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Has anyone checked out the Hitachi AX-M68D yet? Dixons and Currys seem to have an exclusive on it

http://www.dixons.co.uk/product.php?sku=961329

I'm looking for a decent entry-level system with CD player and DAB for a small living room, and this comes in well below my maximum £200 budget. I've only come across a handful of reviews via Google (all of which are very positive), but I would rather trust advice from the helpful and knowledgeable folks here on AV Forums!

2. BUGANNA

BUGANNA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the Ax-M70 version, which is pretty similar, without DAB

and it has nicer looking speakers.......

sound quality ? merely OK, not what I would consider Hi Fi at all, but ok for a bedroom / PC etc

however, Im pretty sure the speakers are whats letting the system down, ( theyre rubbish - look good, sound poor ) so perhaps getting a small pair of other speakers, may do the trick

a pair of £ 50 missions, from Mr richer, would probably elevate the sound to another level...........

I like the look of the system, its small, cute, and seems well built............

3. Kiwi2

Kiwi2
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    cheers for that info Buganna .. I came across a comment from someone who owns one who said

"Sound is OK for casual listening, speakers are single driver so can't expect too much."

If anyone could explain to me what a single driver is I'd be grateful! Would this negate the effect of upgrading the speakers to something better?

4. BUGANNA

BUGANNA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    no, just means that the current speakers only have 1 drive unit, which TRIED to work as 2 ! but fails !!!

5. gario

gario

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Single driver???? I'm pretty sure that means only one speaker in the box, it will be a woofer, I think that's how you spell it.If there was two speakers the other one would be a tweeter.
    The tweeter deals with the high's and the woofer the mid range & low sounds.

My Daughter has one of these Hitachi systems, I have to agree about the sound, it's really good for her little bedroom, but it's not Hi Fi, take a cd to the shop & get a demo, you might be surprised.

Yes as you say you could upgrade the speakers, Richer Sounds have a great choice at pretty good prices, but have a listen first.

The D A B radio is brilliant.